First District Game for Varsity last night

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
While 7 sat the bench (including 4 freshmen...DD included), 9 upper classmen took the field and batting line up. It was a rough start after 3 innings (we were down 0-5). Finally, by bottom of 4th inning, we got 2 unearned runs...and an additional 7 runs in bottom of 5th inning. The opposing pitcher was good (8 KOs) but she walked 7. Our team managed to get 9 runs on 6 hits. We defeated them 9-6. This team ranked 8th in pre-season polls (All Greater Houston area)...we didn't even make the rank.

The best part is while DD was upset about not seeing the field, she was ecstatic about the win. She now sees the light and excitement of playing for a HS team. She was bowled over by how filled up the stands were and how loud we were. And she said she wouldn't have a voice today. :)

And I think she realizes now...regardless of her size (she's one of the taller players on the team), she is still a baby...a fish...a freshman, and that her time will come.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks for the story. Regardless of how many times people want to compare TB and HS, they are two different things. Enjoy both!

Sep 18, 2011
Thanks for the story. I'm sure your DD's number will be called in the very near future. Best of luck on the season.

Dec 7, 2011
Filled stands!?!?!?!?

You must be from down south or out west.

Going to see a softball game (folks around here would probably call it girls baseball) would cut into the beer drinking too substantially.....

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for sharing! My daughter is a freshman this year and tryouts will be in March so this is along the lines of what we are facing.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
South side of Houston first district game:

Ridge Point defeated Tomball Memorial who was ranked higher in the preseason polls. Nice start for a good program. The stands are always filled here too and I hear yesterday was no exception for the first game of district play. Didn't hurt that it was a nice 72 degrees outside either. :)

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Didn't hurt that it was a nice 72 degrees outside either. :)

I'm so jealous. HS tryouts are this weekend and we still have a foot of snow on the ground here in NE Ohio. Often times the season starts with the HS teams playing while it's still cold enough to snow and often does...lol Congrats on the big win! I can't wait for our HS season to start...even if I'm in my snowsuit;)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Yeah it was nice...I still wore my jacket though. LOL. Congrats on your win too!

It is our HS, but DD isn't on the team (yet!) DD is a 7th grader. HS is literally a minute from our house and we have lots of friends and players she's played with on both the JV and V teams. We try to make as many games as we can when TB team practice or lessons don't get in the way.

BTW, congrats on your DD's win !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207