First day of college practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
DD had her first official day of college practice yesterday. She tried to hide her excitement but gave it away when she left for the field 30 mins before she needed to, so I just smiled as she drove off. ( she doesn't leave early for anything ) In time that "new" will wear off, but I remember how exciting it was.

It was a four hour practice, but she said a lot of that time was meeting and greeting. She was telling me that the team/coaches stood in a circle and each one stepped to the center to tell what positions they play. Most of the girls are utility players so DD felt out of place when they would say "I play 3b and SS" "I play catcher and first" "I play 2b and RF" so DD being DD said "I pitch and drive in RBI's". :) ( college coach told me the same story later at the party )

We also had a meet and greet for the parents/players/coaches last night at an individual's house. Wonderful weather ( low 80's ), pool, great food, good company. It was a pleasure to meet others from different states, cities, ethnic groups, and backgrounds. Everyone seems as excited as the next for this experience with our daughters to begin. I left there really feeling good about the softball side of her school choice.

I did get amused at the size of DD's teammates. We have two 6', the others are 5'7 or bigger..................and then there is mine.........5'5. One of the girls said yesterday that with DD's nickname of "the Assasin"...........she thought DD would be taller. ( we all busted out laughing ).

In a couple of weeks we will kick off our pre-season games. A few single games and a few college tournaments. We will play schools of all divisions D1 to NAIA. I CAN'T WAIT!!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
Cool stuff - I will be following ya in a year with my DD. Except for DD will not be leaving for her first practice from home but from some far-off dorm.... (DW would have loved that she would have been leaving from home!!)

Keep the story going with her first season - anxious to hear how it goes GD :)

Oct 10, 2011
I think it's great she gets to play against other divisions. A close friend of ours (and DD's teammate this summer) sent her schedule to us and she plays a big D1 school close to us. We are definitely going to that game! She plays for a D2 team and is just starting to practice. It's so cool!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Cool stuff - I will be following ya in a year with my DD. Except for DD will not be leaving for her first practice from home but from some far-off dorm.... (DW would have loved that she would have been leaving from home!!)

RB, I'll have to be honest and say that DD being "home" a few more years means more to me than any chance of playing in the WCWS's. The past couple of years have flown by so fast, feels like I've blinked and 6 months have passed at a time.

Dec 7, 2011
RB, I'll have to be honest and say that DD being "home" a few more years means more to me than any chance of playing in the WCWS's. The past couple of years have flown by so fast, feels like I've blinked and 6 months have passed at a time.

Ya I bet. I think as it gets closer to the end DW and I are also thinking less & less about a WCWS dream and more about the sad quietness of being an empty-nester,....but DD is still thinking big & I support her.

She wants to see how "big" she can go in the sport. She wants to answer the question to herself on how far she can take herself and this is the only chance in life for this specific challenge.

Since she is college-committed I was hoping for a cheaper more laid back and more local TB experience next year BUT DD begged for the opportunity to face the best in the national 18U scene. So one more nationally travelling year for us next year. "Yeah" & "Crap" all at the same time........ :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes