First base vs fielders glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
IF your DD is really serious about being a highly skilled 1b then a mitt is important. My DD plays at 1st because she loves the position, absolutely loves it. You can't compare what a 1b mitt can do to what a regular fielding glove does. If someone just throws a ball right to you, sure they both do the same job. When you start stretching and pulling balls from the dirt, scooping and lunging after balls thrown every which way, the 1b mitt takes on a whole new level of usefulness. I had never used my DD's 1b mitt much, I've always caught with a catcher's mitt for so many years. Now that she's throwing a softball I started trying to get used to other gloves. When I started using her 1b mitt, OMG, the thing just SWALLOWS balls. It directs the ball right into the pocket no matter where you catch the thing. It's a ball vacuum! And this is a baseball mitt. Just got her vinci mitt yesterday and my hands are aching now from working it over. :D

Mar 1, 2018
Appreciate all the info everyone provided. In the end we decided on a dedicated 1B mitt and after two different mitts settled on the CBW413 from Drakemir. It’s the first time I have had my hands on a Vinci and I now understand why there is such a strong liking for them. More importantly my DD loves this mitt (maybe more than her All Star CMW3000 catchers mitt) and even though we are in the break in process she has already mentioned she feels much more confident picking balls, particularly on the backhand side. Thanks again!

Jun 26, 2021
The first glove should let the player rapidly and easily shovel a baseball. Players also try to avoid picking up dirt as well as the ball. Gloves, therefore, meet a special demand in this regard.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06