Finger in or out of glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Wow! Talk about resurrecting an ancient thread.

I agree with the TIP method for catchers, too. It allows me to slide all my fingers over and get them out of the danger zone.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
+1 for TIP for catchers and OF. I personally still go TIP for IF, but honestly it's pure preference.

DD plays 3B and runs with traditional finger placement. She hates index finger out and TIP feels too weird for her.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
+1 for TIP for catchers and OF. I personally still go TIP for IF, but honestly it's pure preference.

DD plays 3B and runs with traditional finger placement. She hates index finger out and TIP feels too weird for her.
Yep, Anna was also traditional with index finger inside. Her last Pro206 even had the index finger pad, I used to tell her I didn't want to hear any whining about her index finger getting stung! She had everything already on her hand to fix that problem.

And TIP, no way, she wouldn't even consider it!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yep, Anna was also traditional with index finger inside. Her last Pro206 even had the index finger pad, I used to tell her I didn't want to hear any whining about her index finger getting stung! She had everything already on her hand to fix that problem.

And TIP, no way, she wouldn't even consider it!
I never used TIP until the last few months. I always have the index finger out, though. Now that I use TIP, I can't imagine not using it that way.

Oct 4, 2018
I keep mine out, because I was a first baseman and I didn't want the ball constantly hitting that finger.

But, many gloves don't have a "holster" or opening for the finger.

I think it is purely personal preference. Probably, my first glove came like that 45 years ago.

Having the index finger out of the glove gives an additional layer of padding for that finger. I'd use it given the choice.

Oct 4, 2018
Really? This is a non-issue to me. It's a style thing and not an absolute. Even in baseball, I would care less. Personally, I like the open back style of glove (older style) and I put two fingers in the pinkie, then one and have my index finger out. I would never make my players do that, though.

Yup.

They even ask you on custom glove orders if you want extra padding and where to put it. My DD does two in the pinkie, making her index finger go in the middle finger slot, and the added padding is outside of that middle finger.

1677170042640.png

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yup.

They even ask you on custom glove orders if you want extra padding and where to put it. My DD does two in the pinkie, making her index finger go in the middle finger slot, and the added padding is outside of that middle finger.

View attachment 27455
That's a great option on the custom gloves. However, when I went with my Heart of The Hide off the rack catcher's mitt, it had the finger pad on the index finger. Since I use the TIP method, it's pretty useless where it is.

Jan 25, 2022
I always end up getting a finger stinger if I leave it in. With the first base mitt, especially.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00