Finger in or out of glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I've changed clubs this year and my two coaches at my new club are both baseball players. They spent the first training telling us how much better it is to have the index finger out of your glove. Personally I've always thought (and been told!) this is purely a baseball thing, and that the reason they do so is because of the smaller ball.

Thoughts?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I keep mine out, because I was a first baseman and I didn't want the ball constantly hitting that finger.

But, many gloves don't have a "holster" or opening for the finger.

I think it is purely personal preference. Probably, my first glove came like that 45 years ago.

Jun 3, 2010
Most baseball players shift there fingers over one slot in the glove, basically your pointing finger is in the slot where your index finger goes. This is the way I have always put a glove on. It gives you an inch or two more of reach with the glove. I can not stand the feel of my pointing finger outside the glove.

Jul 28, 2008
Really? This is a non-issue to me. It's a style thing and not an absolute. Even in baseball, I would care less. Personally, I like the open back style of glove (older style) and I put two fingers in the pinkie, then one and have my index finger out. I would never make my players do that, though.

Jun 16, 2010
It is left out to minimize sting, and allow the pocket to be deeper. Its a personal choice, there is better glove control with it in. Playing middle IF, Id leave it in, playing OF, Id leave it out.

Oct 27, 2009
I can tell you from experience I would never instruct to put your finger outside the glove and here's why. If you are the type to dive after balls as I am, it only took me one time to dive and bend that finger back and nearly broke the dog gone thing, so tuck that finger back in the glove. I alleviate the sting and have an easier time closing the glove around the ball I have for years (way too many to mention) tucked two fingers in the little finger hole and then shifted the remaining fingers down one digit each. Not only do you get a little longer reach, but you have a bigger pocket, plus when that glove is new it's easier to squeeze. Also for the younger kids it is easier to squeeze the glove closed. I've been doing this since I was eleven years old. I would never go back.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I think the question has been answered but I will add my 2 cents. as a kid I always kept the index finger out to minimize sting/create a bigger pocket. then when I got a new glove at the age of 48, I found I needed to slip 2 fingers into the pinky slot and shift the others over one in order to use the glove right.

I had a few girls on my team this year that needed to do the same with 2 fingers in the pinky, but they would only do it when I told them to (to try it). it felt too "different". they would rather miss balls and blame it on the glove.

I will be working on that this year.

Mar 13, 2010
Thanks for the advice! We had training tonight and they tried to push the issue. It's a team of women from around 25 to 40 and we've all been playing our entire lives. They got shut down very, very quickly. (it is fastpitch)

Jun 26, 2021
Depending on the situation. The index finger of players who frequently face criticism, such as catchers and infielders, is frequently kept on the outside of the glove. It adds an additional layer of defense between the ball and the player's finger, which would be positioned within the glove directly where the ball would most frequently make contact.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
There’s no right or wrong answer, it’s personal preference and whatever the wearer is most comfortable with. I personally think I can control the glove better with my index finger outside, but that’s just my preference.

For me, the only absolute is at the outfield position….wear the glove TIP with the index finger INSIDE! As mentioned above, diving for a ball and sliding in the grass is a great way to break your finger with it outside the glove!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802