Finding a mentor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2014
I'm a huge proponent of finding a mentor who have been down the road that you are attempting to travel, that being said, is there a protocall for asking someone to be your (DD's) mentor? Has anyone had any experience in this? Is this something that's even done?

Nov 15, 2011
My opinion is that you can't just ask someone to be DD's mentor. Or rather, you can ask, but they may not "click." Maybe start by asking said potential mentor to give lessons to or talk with DD about the journey in softball. We asked a local DI softball player to work with our DD on her hitting (both converted lefties) and the relationship grew into much more than just hitting lessons. This person became a mentor and lifelong friend- but it just happened because their personalities were so similar and because DD was at perfect age for introducing a mentor. Good luck- a good mentor is one of those intangibles that can make all the difference!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Mentors are like marriages, they just happen by accident usually when you least expect it. Arranging a mentor for your daughter is like arranging a marriage it is probably not going to end well. But as 7smom said you can facilitate the process by getting your DD in situations where she might find a mentor.

Jul 2, 2013
From a parents perspective it starts by being friendly to the coaches. Showing appreciation and respect to the people who volunteer their own time to help your DD. Never take them for granted. Just the opposite, thank them every chance you can. For they really are giving to your DD. Acknowledge it.

Then let your DD bond with that adult. Do not meddle. Let it happen. Stay after practice if DD shows the inclination. Let DD LEAD the process. Follow, thank, and support.

My DD has had at least a dozen "mentors' in her ball playing life. It is a family "team" deal, with Dad in the back ... thankful ... and DD in the lead practicing hard and being goofy.

There are so many parents who want to "run" their DD's ball playing. THEY stop this wonderful process in its tracks. Give your DD away to them ... thank them for it ... and there are hundreds of qualified coaches who WANT to step up.

I am in a minority, as always, but my DD almost always plays for a mentor ... a coach who she is his "favorite". It is because the bond is strictly between those two, with dad watching 200 foot away.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy