Figure 4 vs. defensive stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2015
I have always taught my daughter and her teammates to finish their pitch with their legs in the figure 4 position, but now I am getting some conflicting ideas from other parents saying it leaves them in a vulnerable defensive mode. What are your thoughts?

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Actually, I believe that the laces of the drag foot should face the catcher rather than the number 4. That being said, DD finishes with sort of a 4.
DD's PC says you are pitching to pitch, not as a precursor to fielding so your finish should be strong and not necessarily be defensive.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I like the laces to the C too but as long as the pitcher is not falling a lot left or right if think defensively they would be fine with a figure 4.

I am more worried about them being able to protect themselves from shots right back at them then anything else.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I've had coaches tell my dd to close the door after her pitch, all last season her coach would harp on her to do this and what it does to my dd is, she rotates her hips around instead of drive her hips thru, if that makes sense. She's working hard to stop "closing the door" after her pitch, because some coach wanted her too and now it's a habit. I would direct parents to this site if they have questions or concerns. I am not a PC, I'm speaking from dd experience. This is just my opinion and it may very we'll be wrong! If they end in a balanced position they are in a position to field the ball.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Do not confuse the ability to defend herself with being in a defensive position. She needs to finish the pitch properly with the glove in a position to defend herselfthen play defense. As long is she is prepared to get her glove between a ball and her head and upper torso she will be fine.

Sep 29, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avcEmdxuc30

You can see various different things here including laces to catcher but also slight figure four but balanced all the way through.

You can just focus on the first 45 seconds or so. I know we have all seen this 100 times but it is always interesting when you focus on different areas each time you watch it. I wish we could get a dozen or so top pitchers to go to a studio with all the angles at 1000fps second like they do here.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My girls finish on more of an angle. Shoulders and hips will be in more of an alignment to between the c and 3rd base. So the finish is more of a knee to knee. I feel as though the resistance is more likely to stay behind the front side this way and less likely to hinge at the waist.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I teach drag the back foot toe up to your front heal. I am talking about little girls. They have no balance. So, I want them to keep everything on the power line. They weigh 50-60 pounds. No way they can mimic a woman that is grown.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs