Figure 4 finish

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
So, I've got a problem. I'm currently working with 4 different pitchers, all completely different body types and mostly different motions. I haven't exactly pushed the fig 4 drive leg finish as essential, but haven't discouraged girls from using it if it helps them stay balanced/open through delivery. DD uses it to keep from closing her hips too early, for example.

Anyway, I'm comfortable with not really caring whether a pitcher uses it or not, as long as she's using her drive leg and bringing her drive foot forward.

Here's the thing: One of my other players has been "drafted" to pitch by her HS JV team. I've worked with her as a pitcher in the past, and we kind of mutually agreed that she was more of a catcher. She definitely DOES NOT benefit from fig. 4 finish. Started working with her again this weekend to help her get through HS season, since she's going to pitch no matter what, and she says that her coach insists that she finish with the 4. I'm working hard to not step on toes, but it's hard to go back over that ground with her.

Can some of you share your input on the efficacy/inefficacy of fig. 4 finish? Is this a fight I want to have, or should we just find a way to incorporate it?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Even more important than a Figure 4 finish for a pitcher is the "smile and nod".

People who don't know anything about pitching will always go to a pitcher and give her advice. So, how does a polite young lady respond?

She does a "smile and nod". She gets that young girl wide eyed look with a big beautiful smile and nods vigorously. She then promptly forgets the advice.

Your pitcher should be a good enough athlete to be able to perform the Figure 4 on demand--because every time she is struggling on the mound the coach will be yelling 'Remember the Figure 4". She should then do a "smile and nod", and continue to try to work through the situation.

If she isn't struggling, then the coach will say something like, "That Figure 4 really helped!" Then, your pitcher should again do a "smile and nod".

As long as your pitcher is throwing strikes and getting batters out, the coach will be mute.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Good call, Ray. I have to say, this is one of the coaches who lives up to your earlier statement about HS coaches. Only problem is, he also "coaches pitching." She gets about 5 min a week of his time at HS practice, but does offer paid lessons on weekends and offseason. She's also, by her own admission, not a very good or effective pitcher. It's kind of a surreal situation. On our 14U team, she would be pitcher #5, if we let her pitch. In her entire HS PROGRAM, she's #3. LOL.

I'd still love to hear from some folks (if there are any out there) who believe that "4" is or isn't essential, and why. Sooner or later, coach and I will end up talking about this, and I want to have my ducks in a row.

Feb 5, 2010
I used the figure 4 early on to get my dd to stand up tall and then fall back so that she would not walk through a pitch. In my situation it did work and as time goes on the drag foot comes up less but the upper legs are still coming together. Carolina walk Thur's are one way to incorporate the figure 4 if you want to keep from starting a holy war. Some people have tried to change her and my dd will do the smile and nod after taking the sign from me. She is very young and we don't have HS coaches to (correct) her yet.

Jun 16, 2009
I tried everything to get my dd to stop leaning forward. She did fine in practice and great with the various one-foot balance drills we did. But as soon as the game pressure and fatigue started, she would start leaning forward and thus have control problems. We started with the figure-4 finish because it was an easy visual and easy to remember. Since the figure-4 has her mostly balancing on just the stride foot, it forces her to stand tall. That is, as long as she does a figure-4 finish she can't lean forward because she'll fall over. I realize figure-4 finish is considered old school but it seems to help my dd.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I like it as a finish, but it's not essential. Two things I rarely insist on being a specific way is what the hands do in the windup and what the legs do to finish. As long as the back leg drives in hard to the front leg, and the drive foot goes behind the stride foot, I'm fine with whatever they do unless there is a problem.

Given that she's a conscript, maybe she should do EXACTLY as the coach says. You know it won't work and so does she. But perhaps once the coach sees it's not working he'll either stop insisting on it or will let her stop pitching. Seems to me the real problem is making a kid pitch to begin with, and then making her do it in a way in which she's not comfortable. Doing what he says would solve both. Sometimes the hard way is the only way people learn.

Apr 8, 2010
my dd had a step-style delivery, but recently started to work on the leap and drag. she had "stick man syndrome" real bad. we tried the figure 4 finish, but she likes bringing the back leg/foot forward more. we started doing the S drag, which i guess could be sort of a take off of the figure 4 b/c the big muscles in the legs still come together. was working out real nice too until the daddy coach forgot to explain to his players the runner has the lane to the base and his 100 pound pitcher creamed my dd into the ground breaking her wrist.

May 7, 2008
DFW
I am not a fan of the figure 4 finish. I call it the mule kick. Too often I see kids who do this move end up bent over at the waist when they are in the open position. Their arms are coming away from their body and they loose control of the pitch due to balance issues. If you want them to stand tall put more emphasis on being firm on the front leg when they land. That does not mean locked out at the knee. Then have them "Push back" on the stride leg and drag up bringing their knees together with their shoelaces pointed at the catcher.

This will lighten the trench they are digging in the dirt with the side of their foot while doing the mule kick and will put the back foot on their toe much like a MLB player does when they throw. Much lighter drag = Better speed. The quickest way from one point to another is a straight line. That is what your drag mark should look like in the dirt.

Dana.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles