Fielding 4 outfielders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Quincy - I would treat the 4th outfielder as a "short right fielder". You play the SRF on the edge of the grass between your second baseman and first baseman. The beauty of this position is she can make outs to 1B base on ground balls that reach the deep infield, can catch pop-ups or shallow fly balls, and when not fielding a ball, can easily back-up 1B on throws going to that bag.

The other three outfielders (LF, CF, & RF) play their normal depth. However, if there is a runner on 1B who is likely to steal, have the CF play shallow (RF can cheat over to cover right center field) and take the throw coming from the catcher. What I like about CF covering the steal in this situation is that the whole play happens in front of her. She can easily see the runner break for 2B and has both the throw and bag directly in front of her. If you believe in the premise that 70% or more of the balls put in play go to the middle and right side of the infield, that is the place where you have to defend against the hit.

If the league allows you to have a 4th outfielder use it to your advantage. At that age, the goal on defense is to get the maximum number of outs, the most efficient way possible, while limiting the amount of risk for a big inning by the offense. Keep it simple, have fun with a short right fielder, and give your team the best opportunity to make the easy outs.

Jul 28, 2008
Quincy - I would treat the 4th outfielder as a "short right fielder". You play the SRF on the edge of the grass between your second baseman and first baseman. The beauty of this position is she can make outs to 1B base on ground balls that reach the deep infield, can catch pop-ups or shallow fly balls, and when not fielding a ball, can easily back-up 1B on throws going to that bag.

The other three outfielders (LF, CF, & RF) play their normal depth. However, if there is a runner on 1B who is likely to steal, have the CF play shallow (RF can cheat over to cover right center field) and take the throw coming from the catcher. What I like about CF covering the steal in this situation is that the whole play happens in front of her. She can easily see the runner break for 2B and has both the throw and bag directly in front of her. If you believe in the premise that 70% or more of the balls put in play go to the middle and right side of the infield, that is the place where you have to defend against the hit.

If the league allows you to have a 4th outfielder use it to your advantage. At that age, the goal on defense is to get the maximum number of outs, the most efficient way possible, while limiting the amount of risk for a big inning by the offense. Keep it simple, have fun with a short right fielder, and give your team the best opportunity to make the easy outs.

Best answer yet. I concur.

Jul 26, 2010
I like the rule, yes, I do assume they would know. But I was just thinking long term all ages: The demand is high for the fields that are actually maintained anymore. Rec leagues here do use more than one complex, complexes have several types of fields and move you, complexes are often maintained by a separate group.

Stuff like local government budget cuts, some just happened here, teams have to move. Or the fields are being made "cross purpose" to save money, also for adults or even baseball; LL baseball squeezes you out, and things like this that would happen after the rules were made...

Some complexes are good here, such as one run by a Boys and Girls Club that was build with donations I presume.

One adult co-ed league use some sort of line and cones to keep men back when women are hitting, so yes good.

I hear you. That makes sense.

We're lucky here in that we use a lot of high school fields. Since the schools have had their budgets cut insanely (to ensure a future supply of really stupid politicians, I assume), we use funds from rec ball for the field repair and maintenance (putting in promound in all the fields this year and some new topcover) and in return we get full year round use of the fields and priority practice at other public school fields.

Everyone is going to have their own challenges, but sometimes there's a silver lining.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516