Fernandez Ejection vs TAMU WCWS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2016
Any umpire that tells you that is MSU. Nowhere in the rules or umpire manual does it give any indication umpires only interact with head coaches.

There are some associations that do say "head coaches only."

If an AC wants to ask me something, I don't mind, so long as s/he is respectful. Be respectful towards me, and I'll happily do the same for you. Easy-peasy.

Jun 22, 2008
There are some associations that do say "head coaches only."

If an AC wants to ask me something, I don't mind, so long as s/he is respectful. Be respectful towards me, and I'll happily do the same for you. Easy-peasy.

I know of no softball rule sets that specify head coaches only. There may be individual leagues or athletic associations that make their own rules, and I know some baseball rule sets do but no softball rule sets specify head coaches only.

I have no problem speaking with an assistant coach, they are members of the team and have every right to represent them and interact with the officials. It would be ludicrous to require the head coach to go back and forth between the umpire and the assistant coach in order to discuss something. But, as you said they are going to have a shorter leash than a head coach. And as for Fernandez, I dont care if it were an assistant or a head coach, they come charging down the line at me screaming they are gone instantly.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2016
I know of no softball rule sets that specify head coaches only. There may be individual leagues or athletic associations that make their own rules, and I know some baseball rule sets do but no softball rule sets specify head coaches only.

I have no problem speaking with an assistant coach, they are members of the team and have every right to represent them and interact with the officials. It would be ludicrous to require the head coach to go back and forth between the umpire and the assistant coach in order to discuss something. But, as you said they are going to have a shorter leash than a head coach. And as for Fernandez, I dont care if it were an assistant or a head coach, they come charging down the line at me screaming they are gone instantly.

I may be mistaken, but I could have sworn PONY Softball used to have such verbiage in their rule book, though it's been a while since I've cracked it open. I think they gave some latitude to the ACs, but if the ACs started causing problems, the officials could require all discussions to come through the head coach.

And I agree, requiring that 100% of the communications come through the head coach would be silly. Everyone has a role out on the field, including the ACs.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
I have no idea about Pony, have only ever heard about it every so often online. Absolutely no presence in my area or USFA or whatever it is. Have only ever seen people talk about it online.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00