Female quarterback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You are right, about someone trying to take her out. Way back in 1973, I was playing co-ed soccer, as a class in junior college. I was a goalie and I hadn't been scored on, during rec ball my whole senior year.

First play of college classes, a 6'5 member of the men's basketball team just ran me over, to score. The teacher was the basketball coach and he picked that guy up off of the ground and screamed "What in the H-- are you doing?"

So, more power to this young lady, but I hope that her folks understand the dangers of getting seriously hurt.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ah yes...my DD#3 (the hoop player) is a pretty good player. After she was graduated, she was playing in a coed league. The other team would put another woman on her, and my DD#3 would light her up. Then, they would put their worst guy on DD#3, and DD#3 would light him up, and then they would put a better guy on DD#3. At some point, that guy would become a goon and start shoving her around.

One game, the guy was bringing the ball down the court and she did a clean steal. As she went up for an easy layup, the guy decked her. He was ejected from the game, his team and the league. She quit as well...it wasn't worth it.

Last edited:
May 11, 2012
Good for the coaches and players and good for her. I wont lie I have very mixed feelings about this. I coached football for a very long time and I know the immense physical pain that can happen in the sport. I also have experienced playing against a girl when I was in HS:

I was a sophomore OLB and we were playing against a REALLY bad team from a very small community. Their best player was their RB/SS and she happened to be a girl. She really was one of the faster and quicker girls I have ever seen.Tough as nails and I think she landed up being a 2nd team all district selection. I played for a VERy good program( at the time). We played in 2 state titles in 3 years and didnt lose a game in district for a streak of like 14 years. To start the game almost everyone on our team was very "careful" on how they tackled her and blocked her. We certainly respected her very much but also didnt want to hurt her. She landed up breaking some half a**ed tackles and did well against us in the first quarter.

Little did I know but a college sho was interested in me had come to watch this game. My coaches didnt want to tell me because they wanted my focus on the game....not on a scout. Anyways, after making a really poor tackle on her and missing a few assignments because I was trying to not destroy her, my coach pulled me aside and layed into me. He told me about the college coach watching me and told me that if I really respected the game and her I needed to play my best no matter who was out there. I agreed and started playing all out. Needless to say, I landed up having a huge game and unfortunately there was a play where she was racing to the outside, I took and angle and lowed my shoulder to hit her and I hit her so hard that she flipped backwards and nearly landed on her feet. She immediately popped up but was clearly out of it and took off her helmet and puked all over.She then went to the sideline and passed out. I had cracked her helmet and gave here a VERY bad concussion. I felt awful! I landed up writing her a letter apologizing for hurting her and crongatulated her on being a good player. Still at the end of the day she was 5'4, 130lbs( ish) and I was 6'1, 220 and still only a sophomore. Can you imagine if I was a senior? She could have been killed.

So again Im all for equal rights and beleive very strongly that women are just as strong as men in most regards. Stronger in many. However physcially I think football just isnt a place for 99.9% of women. Not with men anyways.

My dd has been around my teams and football since she was born. I am not exxagerating when I say that she knows more about the game at 9 then most 17 year old boys do. You should see her throw a football.........its beautful. I have no doubt in my mind that if she played with 9 year old boys she would be a top 2 player on her team and would be one of the best QB's in the state. I will NEVER let her play. Thats just me. Everyone we know calls her the little girl from Remember the Titans. lol.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Did I understand her to say that this is 7-on-7 league without tackling? Not that it would make the story less interesting, but since some were discussing risk of injury, I am curious.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
No, she played flag 7-7. And was asked to play regular "men's" football.

Got it. Good story. Thanks for posting.

My next question would be whether she is at greater risk of injury than any other player her size playing quarterback. Are we playing into the stereotype that girls are more fragile? Or is there good reason to think she is more in danger? Girls on average have less muscle mass, which may help prevent injuries. And I know that girls' risk of ACL injury is higher in sports. Personally, I don't think the risk of a cheap shot is that high, but perhaps I'm naive. I think boys are far more likely to be be uncomfortable ''playing rough'' with girls than to go in the opposite direction.

Apr 14, 2011
My DD couldn't wait until junior high next year...they have after school sports throughout the school year and flag football starts it off in the fall. Like southwestsoftball's DD, she's got a beautiful throw and can probably outplay any kid her age. I don't mind the flag football, but she also says she's playing when she gets to high school! I had to break it to her that the junior high shut the program down due to budget cuts....she was sooooo disappointed. I don't think I'm as disappointed as she is!!!

Jul 28, 2008
I don't like it. It sends mixed messages. You tell boys don't hit girls, now you tell them to hit girls. I'm not at all for mixing girls and boys in contact sports.

Nov 29, 2009
One of my catchers plays flag football. Mom told me during the last game she caught 8 passes. Mom said she was the only player from either team to catch a pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes