Feel Good Story: PIRATES McCutchen comes to the rescue of youth softball team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
Andrew McCutchen comes to the rescue of youth softball team duped in uniform scamMike Oz 18 hours ago Big League Stew

Pirates star Andrew McCutchen isn't just a hero in the city of Pittsburgh these days, he's also a hero to a youth softball team near this hometown of Fort Meade, Fla. The Mulberry Lady Panthers, a team of 12-year-olds in Mulberry, Fla., raised $2,000 for new uniforms last year. The team placed its order with a uniform company in Maryland last December, but the uniforms never came, according to a story that aired last month from ***S-TV in Tampa.
When McCutchen heard about what happened to the 12 year olds, he worked with Nike to get the girls new uniforms to replace the ones but never received. Cutch signed off on the order this week, and the Lady Panthers should have their new unis in the next two weeks we're told.
McCutchen told Big League Stew in a statement:

"I was once in that position as a kid who had to find ways financially to be able to play baseball. These girls worked hard to raise what they needed, and then it was swept out from under them. Hopefully they can recover their money from that company, but I contacted my rep at Nike and we decided we were going to take care of their uniforms. It's the right thing to do. These girls are supposed to be on a field having fun, not worrying about if they can play or not because they don't have uniforms.
"This is where I grew up. My hometown is just down the road from them. One of these girls attended my clinic in Fort Meade last year. It's hard to hear of a story like this happening to anyone, and this one really hit home."
You can be sure that in Wednesday night's NLDS Game 5, there will be some extra folks in Mulberry, Fla., pulling for McCutchen and the Pirates.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
What a nice thing to do. It was probably a small thing for him, but it made a huge impact on these kids. Being from St. Louis, I still want the Cards to win, but if they don't, I'll gladly cheer for this young man.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
When I read stories like this, I am glad someone with the ability and pull to do such things care enough about others to do them. But the shame of the story, at the same time, is that many more in his financial position do not share the same kind of heart as the ones that do help.

Jun 11, 2013
Good job to Andrew. He and guys like Curtis Granderson are great role models for kids growing up today.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Andrew McCutchen comes to the rescue of youth softball team duped in uniform scamMike Oz 18 hours ago Big League Stew

Pirates star Andrew McCutchen isn't just a hero in the city of Pittsburgh these days, he's also a hero to a youth softball team near this hometown of Fort Meade, Fla. The Mulberry Lady Panthers, a team of 12-year-olds in Mulberry, Fla., raised $2,000 for new uniforms last year. The team placed its order with a uniform company in Maryland last December, but the uniforms never came, according to a story that aired last month from ***S-TV in Tampa.
When McCutchen heard about what happened to the 12 year olds, he worked with Nike to get the girls new uniforms to replace the ones but never received. Cutch signed off on the order this week, and the Lady Panthers should have their new unis in the next two weeks we're told.
McCutchen told Big League Stew in a statement:

"I was once in that position as a kid who had to find ways financially to be able to play baseball. These girls worked hard to raise what they needed, and then it was swept out from under them. Hopefully they can recover their money from that company, but I contacted my rep at Nike and we decided we were going to take care of their uniforms. It's the right thing to do. These girls are supposed to be on a field having fun, not worrying about if they can play or not because they don't have uniforms.
"This is where I grew up. My hometown is just down the road from them. One of these girls attended my clinic in Fort Meade last year. It's hard to hear of a story like this happening to anyone, and this one really hit home."
You can be sure that in Wednesday night's NLDS Game 5, there will be some extra folks in Mulberry, Fla., pulling for McCutchen and the Pirates.

Love stories like this...I also love your avatar pic....However I'm a "Spoke" fan...and he hated Cobb and Ruth!

Aug 6, 2013
Love stories like this...I also love your avatar pic....However I'm a "Spoke" fan...and he hated Cobb and Ruth!
Yea - Not really a Cobb fan - I like Honus Wagner and Josh Gibson from the pre WWII era.
The Name actualy came from the Movie The Warriors; If you ever saw it "Cobb" was the leader of the Baseball Furies - In a conversation about the film I had said something about Cobb of Furies and it sounded funny to me. Kinda stuck in my head. Then when I saw the picture of the Georga Peach commin' in high spikes up.... It all fit.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
When I read stories like this, I am glad someone with the ability and pull to do such things care enough about others to do them. But the shame of the story, at the same time, is that many more in his financial position do not share the same kind of heart as the ones that do help.
Really that's the shame in this story? Not the d-bag company that stole the money and failed to provide the uniforms?

Mar 27, 2010
This is my daughters softball team. The team ordered the uniforms last year from Sports 55 in Maryland. Many, many teams have been scammed by this company. In Florida alone ABC action news did a story on our team and 2 baseball teams. After the story aired several more teams have come forward with the same story. Please pass the word so no one else gets taken. If you look them up on the BBB you will see the complaints and see that they have been given an F rating. Thankfully our team has gotten their uniforms thanks to Andrew and Nike.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1