Feedback on 10YO pitching mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2014
Hi all - new to the forum and am interested in your feedback on DD's pitching mechanics. She's been taking lessons for 4 months now and her PC has set her up with a interesting delivery. Being a former 1B and new to pitching altogether, I'm trying my best to help her in between lessons and games. My thoughts are that one of her biggest issues is leaning forward. Her PC teaches the Hello Elbow but everything I read here says to go with IR.

Thanks in advance for your constructive criticism!

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Hi and welcome to the board. As you have surmised, all of that pre-motion is unnecessary and is detrimental to her back and shoulder.

I would encourage you to e-mail the pitching coach and tell her that you no longer want any lessons. Then, continue to read on this site and watch all of the Bill Hillhouse Youtubes, that are available.

If your daughter came to me for a lesson, the first thing we would do, is come set on the pitcher's plate, bring our hands together, bring the ball up the circle and pitch.

You are also correct about the forward lean. I fix that during the first lesson. Just stand tall, no lean. Do not bend at the waist. Do not throw your shoulders toward the catcher.

I hate to think how much money, you may have spent on her current instruction. Your DD (darling daughter) is good and she is attempting to do what she is taught, but that is going against what she feels is right.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
If you turn your phone sideways while recording videos, it makes a much wider view and you can get even closer while still getting the full pitching motion on the screen without the black boxes on the sides when it goes to youtube.... Also, Amy gives some of the best advice on here for young pitchers. My dd has come a long way because I've taken advice of Amy and other pitching coaches on here and applied it to my dd's instruction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan