Fauci Says there is a way sports (ie Professional Sports) can resume this summer.... this does not sound good for softball to return before fall...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2019
In America, I think the answer is pretty simple. If you're willing to take the risk, then take the risk. If you aren't, then don't take the risk. I don't mean that in a snarky tone to either side. It's the beauty of "freedom". You're "free" to choose. The lack of "freedom" we've had lately is another topic for a different forum, and some of those decisions by state legislators have multiple, multiple lawsuits, adding more every day.
It's not so much you taking the risk, but if you get it and are asymptomatic, you may give it to a co-worker or someone at the store, who may pass it onto their family member who may be high risk, and so on, you may be the reason grandpa is dead without even knowing it. That's why we have lockdowns, real simple.
For playing games, I'm probably like most here, I'm healthy, DW, DD, DS all healthy, so if we bring it home from a tournament, I'm not worried about my immediate family, but that means how long will we go before my kids get to see their grandparents. We are not getting weekly tests, so if you keep living a carefree life, you most likely will get the virus and if you don't know when that is, that's where the problem is. I think we will get back to "normal" not when we get a vaccine, but when we can all get the test to see if we already had it.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
Thank you! I mentioned this previously. THIS was the SOLE reason we were told that "lockdowns" were going into place. Doesn't anyone remember those charts they showed us with the peaks with and without lockdowns, and that little dotted line showing the nation's hospital capacity? The hardest hit places in the country did not see overwhelmed hospitals.

Because hospitals were preparing for the surge and stopped doing elective and non-critical treatment there is now an issue of some hospitals that may have to furlough many employees. Several hospitals around North Texas have over 50% of their beds open.

Aug 6, 2013
I am interested in seeing the death numbers in the states that are opening up - not case numbers. JMO but I don’t think the mortality rate is as high as was originally feared. This is all so new though and new facts are being learned everyday as doctors and scientists study the virus and the effects it has on people. We know the cases will rise as restrictions loosen up. My big thought is that we have lots of people saying the impact has been minimal in their area and then they are saying “hey, we are having a tournament, yay”. What is stopping the teams from the harder hit metro areas from coming to the tournament? Then the cases will naturally go up because we already know this is an incredibly infectious virus and chances are incredibly high that at least one asymptomatic person will be in attendance. Will the mortality rate stay steady or drop or rise? That’s my question.

Personally we will play when our state opens up and our team deems it safe to start, as a whole. We are in VA so we likely won’t open before June (so it’s easy for me to say that, lol) as already indicated by our Governor. That will give me the time to see how the rest of these states fair because I’m sure that info will be widely reported.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
Question to all:
If your Governor or county health care official said is was OK to play friendlies/games on May 3rd, would you play? How about May 10th? May 31st? What is going to make you decide it is OK to play again?

If DD’s coach called and said we would be starting back up tomorrow, she would be there. She’s ready to go and so are we.

May 12, 2014
DDs coach is going to get all the parents and players opinion on what we all feel safe with practice and tournament wise and we’ll go from there.

Dec 11, 2010
I am 52 and I’m the youngest coach on my team. I have two assistants in their 70’s, one in his 60’s and one is just a little older than me and has had chemo and might have to again.

Rhetorical question: What the hell am I supposed to do when I am probably the closest thing to a coach who isn't at risk? These guys are probably about to have the first summer that they didn’t coach or play softball since Jimmy Carter was president.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Just saw where the lead scientist for the NIH COVID-19 research team said that vaccine might be available for emergency workers by Fall and the hope is to have it available for everybody by Spring. To me this is pretty amazing if they can do it considering vaccines usually take anywhere from 4 to 10 years to develop
Vaccine for a illness that has a 99.99% survival rate?

Jun 8, 2016
Vaccine for a illness that has a 99.99% survival rate?
Sure, we have one for the flu. I don't know about you but I would rather not get sick regardless if my chances of dying are low or not.

Is this something new that Fox News is pushing, no need for a vaccine now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck