Fastpitch Specific helmet?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2015
Looking at the Wilson Shock FX 2.0 Helmets. There is a baseball and a softball version. What makes them sport specific? I'm asking because I can get the baseball version much cheaper.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Might be the design of the facemask too ??

Shock FX™ 2.0 Catcher's Helmet (Softball)
$149.99

Reduce the shock of impact on a catcher's head by up to 50% with the cutting-edge energy absorption materials and technology of the Wilson Shock FX Catcher's Mask. Featuring high tensile steel, maximum ventilation, a panoramic cage design and cooling helmet liners, its exclusive four-piston design technology features six vibration-reducing isolators that diffuse impact energy from a player's helmet in four key zones. By allowing the mask to "float" separately from the helmet itself, impact is absorbed to drastically reduce possible effects on a player's helmet and head.

Shock FX 2.0 Baseball Catchers Helmet
$159.99

Reduce the shock of impact on a catcher's head by up to 50% with the cutting-edge energy absorption materials and technology of the Wilson Shock FX Catcher's Mask. Featuring high tensile steel, maximum ventilation, a panoramic cage design and cooling helmet liners, its exclusive four-piston design technology features six vibration-reducing isolators that diffuse impact energy from a player's helmet in four key zones. By allowing the mask to "float" separately from the helmet itself, impact is absorbed to drastically reduce possible effects on a player's helmet and head.

After looking at the pictures, I am surprised that the baseball helmet is not more, only cause it has the MLB logo. I personally do like the way the baseball helmet looks over the softball one.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
More than just the cage is different. The baseball version looks to be considerably longer top to bottom in front, likely to protect the throat area (much easier for the smaller baseball to get between mask and chest). The venting on top is very different (more for baseball), as is the very shape of the dome - probably to account for the extra hair expected in fastpitch. The baseball version is bigger, and so probably heavier, though I can't find actual weights on the Wilson site. Amazon lists the shipping weight as 2.8 for the fastpitch version, 3.7 for the baseball. That's a pretty big difference when we're talking about carrying the weight on your neck!

Feb 12, 2014
BuckeyeGuy is right on the money. The baseball model is considerably longer and shaped differently.

Just remember, no matter which model you get, it doesn't protect anything when it's on the ground! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole