If Softball HAS to Have Time Limits…

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
I’ve only been around travel softball for around 3 years so maybe I just haven’t seen it or maybe it’s a thing in older divisions (my dd is 10), but are there tournaments that play a full 7 innings? I’d love to see a tournament that did that or even like 5 innings. Make it a smaller field but charge what you need to make up the difference. Parents would pay a little extra. Do they do the same thing in youth baseball? Time limits I mean.
We just played a tournament that had 90 minute bracket games. Not guaranteed to get 7 innings, but many of the games did. Our first bracket loss was 1-0 in 6 1/2 innings. Game time was 58 minutes.

Apr 20, 2015
Usssa has the shortest time limited I’ve ever seen and the furthest thing from real softball there is. PGF around here tend to be the longest usually 80min pool and 90 min bracket. Sometimes bracket is 7 innings in qualifiers . Alliance is just taking hold so not sure what their qualifiers look like in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 20, 2016
While i'm not a fan of time limits once you hit 16U games are usually done in less than 90 minutes anyway. We just finished the year with a tournament where we played 8 games total. Every game was done in less than 90 minutes.

Feb 24, 2022
We were in VA for the USA Eastern Nationals a couple of weeks ago and we had 100 min games. I was shocked, have never had a time limit that high before. They did shorten those to 80 min the following day(s) due to the extreme heat.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
TCS Nat's had full 7 inning games in all bracket games...at least when DD played. Team had to play 3 back to back games in the loser's bracket. DD caught all 3 games. They actually run ruled the 2nd game which was very helpful. There is just something about playing a full non timed game. You know exactly how many outs you have left to hold a team or to catch up. Helps with pitcher management as well. I always felt more frantic and out of control in those timed games for whatever reason. If you have a blow up inning and realize you have 10 minutes to play but only have played 3 innings. I just don't like it...unless we are winning.

Jul 14, 2018
TCS Nat's had full 7 inning games in all bracket games...at least when DD played.

Just got back from TCS Nationals in Myrtle Beach. Games are timed, 90 minutes. As others have said, when you’re playing at a decent level, the games move along pretty well. All of our games went six or seven innings, except the one where we got mercied after four.

May 27, 2022
I’ve only been around travel softball for around 3 years so maybe I just haven’t seen it or maybe it’s a thing in older divisions (my dd is 10), but are there tournaments that play a full 7 innings? I’d love to see a tournament that did that or even like 5 innings. Make it a smaller field but charge what you need to make up the difference. Parents would pay a little extra. Do they do the same thing in youth baseball? Time limits I mean.

You have to ask yourself if you're willing to be late. If you're the last game of the day scheduled to start your game at 7 and the 5 games in front of you all run 30 minutes long, are you willing to be the team that starts 2.5 hours late? Even an hour or two late? How about parents that are trying to manage their time with other kids and activities? If you were supposed to be there at 6 for warmups but the game now doesn't need you there until 7:30, are you going to just sit there for an extra 1.5 hours? Personally, I think it would be a nightmare!

We run 2 round robins for HS Varsity teams at our HS and games are set for 90 minutes. Some get done, most are close, but even 10 or 15 minutes for each of 5 games would push the last games back to be too late for the last games of the day.

Jun 8, 2016
You have to ask yourself if you're willing to be late. If you're the last game of the day scheduled to start your game at 7 and the 5 games in front of you all run 30 minutes long, are you willing to be the team that starts 2.5 hours late? Even an hour or two late? How about parents that are trying to manage their time with other kids and activities? If you were supposed to be there at 6 for warmups but the game now doesn't need you there until 7:30, are you going to just sit there for an extra 1.5 hours? Personally, I think it would be a nightmare!

We run 2 round robins for HS Varsity teams at our HS and games are set for 90 minutes. Some get done, most are close, but even 10 or 15 minutes for each of 5 games would push the last games back to be too late for the last games of the day.
The last tournament DD played in which had 7 inning games scheduled games in 135 minutes increments (9,11:15, etc). Everything was pretty much on time (and these were 12U teams, granted they were all pretty good) Of course this wasn't a 25 GG tournament so they were able to do that..

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Just got back from TCS Nationals in Myrtle Beach. Games are timed, 90 minutes. As others have said, when you’re playing at a decent level, the games move along pretty well. All of our games went six or seven innings, except the one where we got mercied after four.

Sorry I was talking about the Big TCS Nationals, not the NE, SE, SW, West Coast Nat's.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse