Fall before HS: break or no break?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
It's my belief that taking a season off can provide tremendous benefits for a young athlete involved in a year-round sport. I think it's good for both mind and body, and over the years, I've read many opinion and academic pieces which have support this notion and have also spoken with dozens of parents and coaches who have strongly agreed and others who have strongly disagreed.

My 13yo has a rifle for an arm, but has a relatively slight build for a softball player. During this phase of her growth, I think she'd buy herself a bit of longevity as far as that arm is concerned if she were to do a little less softball for a few months. I'm not concerned about her mental well-being, but I think focusing on strength, speed, and conditioning during fall would really help her overall game. If she committed to training weekly, I believe she could greatly improve her home-to-1st time in just a few short months.

Judging her physically, I think this fall marks the ideal time to take an extended break. Her mother disagrees, and believes not playing might negatively impact DD moving forward. As far as DD's personal goals are concerned, she has dreams of earning a softball scholarship to a D1 school, not because she wants to play on TV, but because she wants to attend a large school and play ball there.

I'm interested in what the forum thinks about this nowadays. For me, it's good parenting to help our young athletes learn how to take care of their bodies, even though the children are given plenty of decision-making power as far as that is concerned. I'm more than willing to be convinced that I am wrong.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We have always taken a break from mid November until January. This year with school volleyball added to her schedule she was shot by mid October. Due to a couple of rain outs we were able to shut her fall season down and shut down lessons as well. This gave her two and a half months of down time away from softball which did her a world of good. She was still getting exercise but it came from volleyball and basketball which used different muscle groups. When school softball practice started in January she was a different kid. Very well rested and we made it through the spring and still feels great. I think the different training aspects strengthened other parts of her body that do not get a lot of focus during softball season.

Jan 22, 2011
My DD is younger, but last year we took mid-November to mid-Jan off from softball specific stuff. She played school and NJB basketball and did a 12 week speed and strength program from early December to late Feb. Helped her 3 pointers, hitting, and I think gained her 1 to 2 mph pitching. She's still slightly slow out of the box, but is faster 2nd to home.

This year she'll play MS softball and maybe guest play a couple tournaments, but I want her done by the weekend before Halloween with softball. Will take pitching lessons once a week Nov thru end of Jan.

Feb 3, 2011
She is going into High School, let her decide.
She's been largely in control of her softball journey. It's been fun to watch. As of today, she doesn't want the break, but also does not have the breadth of perspective I do. Neither she nor her mother want to take her injury history (Achilles, elbow, shoulder) into consideration.

Dec 19, 2012
A problem with HS aged players wanting to play at the next level is a ton of recruiting happens in the fall. I bet over half of my dd's TB teammates were recruited in the fall. Something to think about when deciding to take the fall off. My dd's fall schedule went into mid November and we live in Ohio.

Mar 26, 2013
She's been largely in control of her softball journey. It's been fun to watch. As of today, she doesn't want the break, but also does not have the breadth of perspective I do. Neither she nor her mother want to take her injury history (Achilles, elbow, shoulder) into consideration.
A few questions:
- Does her HS softball program play and/or practice during the fall?
- Do you envision her taking the fall off while on a TB team or would you join after the fall?
- Is there a reason why you're trying to sell her/them on this now rather than this summer when you'll know more about her physical condition and recruiting prospects?

Feb 3, 2011
The HS does winter conditioning and then plays in spring until mid-May. I would envision looking for a spot after fall. I wasn't going to have the conversation until after the current season is complete this summer, but her mother wanted to discuss "things" and when I brought this up to her while we were talking about health and balance, she got angry and stormed off. Before she got home, she'd already texted DD to complain to her about what I'd said. At that point, I figured I'd consult with the sound minds here.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I saw an interesting article recently in a local paper. I will look up the link later. I read the print version.

Some U of Wisconsin researchers looked at HS kids in 4 sports: basketball, volleyball, soccer and tennis. They compared kids who played a single sport all year round with kids who diversified. The kids who took at least 4 months off from their primary sport had significantly fewer injuries. The tentative recommendation is to have a secondary sport for 4 months.

Granted, this is one study which just looked at kids in these 4 sports in high schools in southern Wisconsin.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD is a single sport player which is softball. She tried out for different HS sports and was actually offered V spots but never took the offers. She didn't like the sports for whatever reason. Certainly she's athletic enough.

That said, she has taken every Fall off from softball every year until the last one. Every year until this past one she quickly became the strike out Queen of the area during Fall Ball and the indoor Winter league and wouldn't really improve until just before Spring. This past year, instead of taking Fall off, she worked even harder because she had a big individual college showcase she went to. Instead of being a strikeout Queen, she did extremely well. So the question is, what are you trying to achieve? If you are planning on going to Winter showcases or college camps, then I would say don't let her take the time off. Skills not practiced usually atrophy at an alarming rate. JMHO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA