Facemasks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
You ever hear of Comparative Negligence? Sure someone could do something stupid like drop a cup of hot coffee on themselves but if a store has had numerous (100's) of complaints of their coffee being warmed to 180 degrees which is enough to cause 3rd degree burns and it does nothing to correct the problem, then I can see some fault on the part of the store. The bottomline is that there is more to the story than someone spilling coffee on themselves.
Yep. The judge reduced the damages they had to pay because of her contributing negligence. I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to know that a company keeps its coffee 30 degrees above the industry standard, and that it can cause 3rd degree burns. There's a middle ground between scalding and tepid. Anyway...

I do this a lot. The free association topic offshoots. I've tried to stop but I can't. Please don't vote me off the island.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Yep. The judge reduced the damages they had to pay because of her contributing negligence. I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to know that a company keeps its coffee 30 degrees above the industry standard, and that it can cause 3rd degree burns. There's a middle ground between scalding and tepid. Anyway...

I do this a lot. The free association topic offshoots. I've tried to stop but I can't. Please don't vote me off the island.

You are good with me.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
This season, it will be a league rule for all infielders 10U and up to wear a fielder's mask.

My suggestion is to "STRONGLY URGE" the parents to have their DD's wear fielding masks. Then consult your league's attorney and ask them about the legal liabilities regarding fielding masks. It's sad in this day and age that you have to think like that. But you have the financial welfare of a 700 player league to look out for. What seems like a common sense action by the league could end up being detrimental to the league.

This was the advice from our league atty. Which is why it is only strongly encouraged

Dec 1, 2015
Not only do all my players wear masks, but my pitchers and catchers must wear heart guards as well. I've been coaching for more than 30 years now, and I've seen enough pitchers take line drives off the chest to convince me that no girls will die of a heart contusion while playing for me. I've seen enough pitches fouled off just above the catcher's mitt, then into her chest to know that a heart guard under the chest protector is just a little insurance that let's me relax knowing no catcher that plays for me will die of a heart contusion. It's a game not worth dying for.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not only do all my players wear masks, but my pitchers and catchers must wear heart guards as well. I've been coaching for more than 30 years now, and I've seen enough pitchers take line drives off the chest to convince me that no girls will die of a heart contusion while playing for me. I've seen enough pitches fouled off just above the catcher's mitt, then into her chest to know that a heart guard under the chest protector is just a little insurance that let's me relax knowing no catcher that plays for me will die of a heart contusion. It's a game not worth dying for.

All players seems a bit over the top even if it is 10U. If it is that bad maybe invest in a pallet of bubble wrap and get Michelin as a sponsor?

michelin-man.jpg

Jun 12, 2015
Eh. All the girls on my 10U team wear them. Probably overkill for the outfield but if they aren't bothered, why not? Most of these girls grow up using them now so it's no big deal to them. Most of them even wear them in practice. The coaches don't make them, they just naturally grab them when heading out to the field.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd