Facemasks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I don't see any way a parent could win a suit against a rec league for requiring face masks. If a face mask fails they could possibly sue the face mask manufacturer. But a rec league for requiring them? No. I'm guessing a judge would just throw that out. It makes no sense.

While I completely agree with you, it doesn't have to make sense.
Remember McDonalds' coffee being too hot?

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
After reading the specs from the NOCSAE for fielders headgear and protective face masks, I get the idea that any certification of face mask only products is not happening any time soon.

Which is odd because IIRC, Rip It helmet masks have the NOCSAE certification. Doesn't seem like a quantum leap to get their face mask certified.
Makes you wonder about the process or the cost of the process.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Which is odd because IIRC, Rip It helmet masks have the NOCSAE certification. Doesn't seem like a quantum leap to get their face mask certified.

They test those attached to the helmets, not by themselves. They may not even have testing apparatus that can deal with a facemask attached directly to a headform.

Jul 25, 2015
Not trying to get away from the legal discussion here (I actually find it interesting) but concerning facemasks this past weekend... DD#2 attended a camp with 16 schools represented over the weekend and she was one of a handful of girls that wore her mask while going through fielding drills and pitching... a D1 pitching coach asked her "why are you wearing your mask here with no live batter" and she answered "it is the way I play, so it is the way I practice" to which the coach said "good answer"... I did not know about this exchange until the ride home but I asked her if the coach seemed bothered by her wearing a mask and she said no... I ate lunch with a D1 coach during the camp that I know personally and asked her about the mask and the stigma... her answer was "if she can make plays in a full suit of armor I could care less what she wears"... Take it for what its worth....

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
They test those attached to the helmets, not by themselves. They may not even have testing apparatus that can deal with a facemask attached directly to a headform.

At 61mph from 24" it certainly is well beyond real life conditions, especially in the context of rec ball or young TB. I wonder how many would actually pass such criteria. I think some of the criteria may be remnants from batting face masks which may be a bit over the top for fielders face masks.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

My theory is that fielders face masks (no helmet) would not pass the current standards for fielders masks attached to a helmet.

Feb 7, 2013
Curious to know what happens when a coach refuses a player to wear a mask and she gets injured by a bad hop or line drive?

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Curious to know what happens when a coach refuses a player to wear a mask and she gets injured by a bad hop or line drive?

It would depend on the requirements of the league, if any. If the league says you have to wear one and the coach tells you not to, he has put himself in jeopardy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz