Face Mask Saves the Day?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Something a bit scary in a game yesterday.

DD #3 at bat. Runners on base, including 3rd. 3B playing close in. DD #3 smacks the ball, line drive right in the face of the 3B. The force of the ball actually rips the face mask off the fielder. DD #3 beats the throw to 1st and gets an RBI. Fielder goes and picks up her mask, puts it on, and continues playing.

I talked to DD #3 last night. She was really shaken up. She was so scared she had hurt the poor 3B. It's just a game. Nobody wants to see an injury to the face.

In her first 2 tournaments this year, there were 4 times (including 3 while pitching), when a line drive went right at her face, but DD #3 had good enough reflexes, and good enough luck, to stick out her glove and get the out, rather than a ball in the face. She was happy to have a face mask on, just in case her reflexes failed her, or she didn't notice quite in time, or whatever.

Trust me, DD #3 is a strong believer in face masks now.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Something a bit scary in a game yesterday.

DD #3 at bat. Runners on base, including 3rd. 3B playing close in. DD #3 smacks the ball, line drive right in the face of the 3B. The force of the ball actually rips the face mask off the fielder. DD #3 beats the throw to 1st and gets an RBI. Fielder goes and picks up her mask, puts it on, and continues playing.

I talked to DD #3 last night. She was really shaken up. She was so scared she had hurt the poor 3B. It's just a game. Nobody wants to see an injury to the face.

In her first 2 tournaments this year, there were 4 times (including 3 while pitching), when a line drive went right at her face, but DD #3 had good enough reflexes, and good enough luck, to stick out her glove and get the out, rather than a ball in the face. She was happy to have a face mask on, just in case her reflexes failed her, or she didn't notice quite in time, or whatever.

Trust me, DD #3 is a strong believer in face masks now.

I can attest the scare your daughter had. I've had scares like that too. I remember a game when I was 13. I was pitching and wasn't wearing a facemask (my coach at that time didn't believe in facemasks...my sister's little league mandates them for corner infielders and pitcher's which is a good idea, IMO). But, I remember the ball being hit as a hard line drive right for me. I dropped really quick as soon as I saw the ball come off the bat. My timing must not have been quite good enough because I remember the ball barely hit me in the butt and lower back. If was scary because I know the situation could have been so much worse. I still don't own a back up mask and I should for incase I ever get called on to pitch. Steph, our Junior pitcher wears one and Jamie, our one Sophomore does.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06