Eye contacts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2022
I was thinking about this a little bit, is there a chance the contact solution will evaporate with the temperatures girls play in sometimes and how long they can be on the field?
Evaporate from where? I think the answer is no, but I'd like to be sure I understand your question correctly.

Jun 16, 2022
Daily lenses are the route I'd recommend - lots of dust and some potential for tearing the lens in softball games. Best to be able to just discard them at the end of the day and start fresh the next morning.

May 20, 2015
both my girls wear dailies.....i have a college MINF who always seems to get dusty (even on a turf field haha) and a 2024 C - both make sure they have a spare pair in their bag, as well as drops....a small mirror isn't a bad idea, although both have used a cell phone camera held by a teammate......i have been wearing contacts for 35+ years, so i can pop 'em in without a mirror haha

both had glasses they wore in school, one wore them for driving as well.....neither wore glasses for softball, but both were amazed at how much better things were with the contacts in

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Yes, both DD's (P/OF and C/3B) have worn them since sometime in 12U (now entering 4th yr of college). Always have extras, saline and backup glasses. It's dusty and dry here in CO and behind the dish even more so. They need to not be shy about asking for time when it gets windy and dusty back there. Encourage them to wear sunglasses with interchangeable lens. I'm a big of using the yellow or even the clear lens under the helmet. Keep up with changing prescriptions, it does make a difference.

Jun 21, 2019
Mine (College Freshman) has worn contacts for 4 or 5 years. No issues. Make sure there's a backup pair ready to go in case of any issues. I also always have eye drops for contacts on hand. Have had to use them a few times.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I started wearing contacts when I was 12. While I didn't wear them every day until I was 13 or 14, I did wear them for sports from the time I got them.

Once had one knocked out during a basketball game. Otherwise have never had any real issues.

It's crazy to me that people wear glasses when playing if contacts are an option.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My oldest wears glasses for distance only, and her vision isn't bad. We tried all different versions of sports goggles, but they always fog up badly. We tried to get her to switch to contacts, but she couldn't deal with anything in her eye, so she's back to glasses. I want her to get LASIK, but I have no idea how she'd tolerate surgery if she couldn't take contacts.

Jun 8, 2016
I started wearing contacts to play ball when I was HS. I have an astigmatism and back then I guess it was hard to find good contacts for that because they bothered the hell out of me. After a game my eye would be all red where the contacts were..(drops didn’t do a thing). The last day I played an organized baseball game was the last day I wore them (even though I am sure they are better now)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022
Thanks for the responses! I think we will try the contact route. She plays in SoCal so we get the dusty fields with an always breeze behind the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Gotta see the ball to play well. I moved mine to daily contact the second their eyesight failed a teeny bit. So important.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00