Explaining to a coach about the high level swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2013
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-practical/16483-im-thinking.html

I made a couple of these so MY dd's know what it means to "turn the barrel" but have not dared take it to practice yet. My oldest mentioned to the head coach last night but I was like "zip it" lol, not ready to fight that battle yet.

Hoping to work over the winter and get her hitting harder for spring. She is a good hitter but like most dads I was taught to teach her squish the bug and others so we have been working this fall on it. As most have said would happen, her avg has dropped but she still bats in the 4 hole often.

Thanks for the replies.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes, not an intuitive cue, thus best left out of the initial conversation.

For many it is intuitive ....... but knowing 'when' and 'where' in the sequence can be very helpful.

We had an example of a young girl here receive the simple advice to "turn the barrel", along with a GIF showing 'where', and we received feedback that the kid "got it".

It's really not difficult. Quite easy. Highly intuitive IMO. But it does help to know 'when' the barrel should be turned.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
For many it is intuitive ....... but knowing 'when' and 'where' in the sequence can be very helpful.

We had an example of a young girl here receive the simple advice to "turn the barrel", along with a GIF showing 'where', and we received feedback that the kid "got it".

It's really not difficult. Quite easy. Highly intuitive IMO. But it does help to know 'when' the barrel should be turned.

Based on what I've seen on this site, it's not so intuitive for most. How many threads are there where dads are struggling to teach their DDs how to "turn the barrel"? For the most part, the advice and instructions are all the same. Sure, there are some girls that "get it" very quickly, but it seems to me that most don't. I think a lot of this has to do with trying to reprogram their idea of what a swing is supposed to feel like.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Based on what I've seen on this site, it's not so intuitive for most. How many threads are there where dads are struggling to teach their DDs how to "turn the barrel"? For the most part, the advice and instructions are all the same. Sure, there are some girls that "get it" very quickly, but it seems to me that most don't. I think a lot of this has to do with trying to reprogram their idea of what a swing is supposed to feel like.

Get the "hand set" correct, and understand "when" in the sequence, and it's fairly obvious.

You've seen a young kid figure it out here at DFP with the simple instruction of "turn the barrel" along with "where". Honestly ... as long as the hand set is accommodating, it is just that easy.

Post a GIF of a hitter you are working with that is having difficulty with this and perhaps we can add some clarity.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
A few weeks ago, the mom of one of my pitching students asked me to work with her on hitting for a little while. The girl is playing a little higher level ball than she was before, and her natural athletic ability is no longer enough.

She's been grasping what I've been telling her (and showing her via some of the models in RVP) quickly, and making good changes. She also told me her travel teams coaches don't teach it that way. But they're pretty smart. They said if you have a hitting coach, ignore what we're telling you and do what that coach says. Which she's doing.

Ah, if only more team coaches would do that. Quite frankly, despite the fact that I teach hitting, if one of my team players has a hitting coach I just ask what that coach says and try to help her do whatever it is. Even if it's not what I would do. It pains me sometimes, but there's no sense in confusing some poor kid or getting in her head with conflict.

As for the OP's coach, all I can say is none are so blind as those who will not see.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Get the "hand set" correct, and understand "when" in the sequence, and it's fairly obvious.

You've seen a young kid figure it out here at DFP with the simple instruction of "turn the barrel" along with "where". Honestly ... as long as the hand set is accommodating, it is just that easy.

Post a GIF of a hitter you are working with that is having difficulty with this and perhaps we can add some clarity.

Like I said there are some that DO get it quickly - although I can't think of any recent examples that I've seen. More don't (me, JJ, RDB, moe...). Getting the bat into the hands is the biggest part of the "turn the barrel" equation and is not a separate issue (IMO).

Threads with clips of my DD's swing can be found on DFP, BBD, and HI.

Do you have clips of your DD/DS/student who did "get it" quickly?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I have video proof from a game last Monday that DD still doesn't get it.
[video=youtube_share;cxOWgy_yp0s]http://youtu.be/cxOWgy_yp0s[/video]
The first thing she said when she watched it was "I dropped the barrel" so at least she understands what is going on. I like a lot about it but that barrel drop I driving me crazy.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Like I said there are some that DO get it quickly - although I can't think of any recent examples that I've seen. More don't (me, JJ, RDB, moe...). Getting the bat into the hands is the biggest part of the "turn the barrel" equation and is not a separate issue (IMO).

Threads with clips of my DD's swing can be found on DFP, BBD, and HI.

Do you have clips of your DD/DS/student who did "get it" quickly?

I'm not going to hunt down clips of your daughter. If you wish to repost then I'll look at it.

Sure ... I have plenty of clips of ladies that I've worked with ... but they are for me & them, and not for you & others.

I respect that you are having difficulties ... just saying that I have rarely had an issue with it.

Take a look at the kids over at HI ... basically a group that is pretty free of 'bat drag' ... you might ask yourself why ... why is it that particular hitting groups simply don't have such an issue ... what do they do that makes it so easy to nip the issue in the bud? The answer ... it's in the hands. You do have control of that object in your hands ... really, you do.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I get that it's in the hands. I can feel it in the hands. That's the easy part. Getting my DD to get it, feel it, believe in it has been a challenge. Once we connect those dots, I expect the barrel turning will come naturally. Finding the trigger that connects the dots for my DD hasn't happened yet.

What drills and cue phrases have been successful for you in getting your students to change their mindset?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
... are you going to tell him "when to turn the barrel" ? Its when the foot rolls over, & the knuckles knock...& contact....FFS

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1