Explaining to a coach about the high level swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2013
I coach with a few different coaches and ages. (8u and 10u)

I have been reading here on the high level swing and can see how it mimics an MLB swing. But some of the guys I coach with are still saying/teaching things like compact swing, don't drop the front shoulder, the bat leads the body, etc. (the last one really makes no sense to me. I plan on asking him to show me what he means, but I don't want to call him out because I like him as a friend and coach)

What is a simple way to explain to another coach why the high level swing is better even for softball? I feel like they are falling back on old school teachings. Fortunately they don't say squish the bug but when I hear a coach try to correct a dropping front shoulder when the batter is getting their hands above the ball or not wanting the batter to step and load/coil, it makes me cringe. Maybe I am missing something?

Hope you can help me with this.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

I have been reading here on the high level swing and can see how it mimics an MLB swing. But some of the guys I coach with are still saying/teaching things like compact swing, don't drop the front shoulder, the bat leads the body, etc. (the last one really makes no sense to me. I plan on asking him to show me what he means, but I don't want to call him out because I like him as a friend and coach)

What is a simple way to explain to another coach why the high level swing is better even for softball? I feel like they are falling back on old school teachings. Fortunately they don't say squish the bug but when I hear a coach try to correct a dropping front shoulder when the batter is getting their hands above the ball or not wanting the batter to step and load/coil, it makes me cringe. Maybe I am missing something?

Most dads/coach use cues that have been past down from coach to coach/dad to dad. Now that 'we' have video/slo-mo video 'we' are able to see what really happens during the swing. Baseball and the softball swing is/should be the same swing. May not be able to convince the other coaches. There is no simple way to explain the correct swing. Examples of how hard it can be are seen on alot of the threads here.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal

Ask him point out where those thing happen in the swing as he watches slo-mo replays of the best hitters in the game. Here's a couple you can share with him...
Cabrera_FB_highside_sync.gif

Bonds_715_combo.gif

"Compact" I agree with, if it is used to talk about keeping the hands close to the body at the start of the swing. This is one of those cues that needs correct teaching to go with it.

May 17, 2012
I am finding that technique is more of a philosophical question than a right vs wrong question. It seems most agree on what a high level swing looks like but there is disagreement on how to get there.

I personally have given up trying to educate other parents/coaches unless they approach me and specifically ask me about it.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
"Pictures say a thousand words... .gif say millions" ~PC....Just tell him you Signed Up w/JS, and you are wondering if the rest of the team can..??? Recommend DFP to him...??? :cool:

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2013
I do understand the compact a little in that sense. But I think he wants them short swing and hands to the ball type compact, not "turn the barrel" compact.

One coach will correct his own kid when she takes a step to swing. (He has said he doesn't like a step at all.) He wants no coil/uncoil. Just hands to the ball.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I do understand the compact a little in that sense. But I think he wants them short swing and hands to the ball type compact, not "turn the barrel" compact.

One coach will correct his own kid when she takes a step to swing. (He has said he doesn't like a step at all.) He wants no coil/uncoil. Just hands to the ball.

Sounds like your going to have an all 'arm swing' team.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
"Turn the barrel" might make sense to someone already familiar and able to visualize the swing, but I wouldn't go there with someone coming from another style. Most kids asked to "turn the barrel" will roll the bat in their hands.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

What I expect to see is a bunch of girls with arm-driven swings with bats swinging flat (a few will be chopping down) around a spinning lower body. It will take a good hitting coach a long time to break them of these habits once they get serious about learning to hit properly.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Pictures say a thousand words... .gif say millions.... Show him this, have him look up the HP. Then just tell him you got some new software, and you are wondering what Model Swing he is talking about ??? tell HC you'll be glad to take a look at it...:cool:

BBB%281%29.gif

I only have one word about this...

WHAT????

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom