Experts Needed: what are you seeing in this clip?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She has no desire to pitch. I'm looking for what is wrong because I will be coaching her REC team this season and would prefer not to destroy any possibility of success if they (the pitchers) decide to pursue it any further.

In my experience with rec ball, trying to be effective as a pitching coach while running a team is a tough challenge. With kids that wanted to pitch, I encouraged them to work on it as much as they could outside of team practices, and if they were very serious about it, work with a pitching instructor. If they didn't yet have an instructor, I would recommend one that I was familiar with. Another issue to be aware of is giving conflicting advice. If you have a player who is working with an instructor, their approach may be very different than what you learn from the fine folks of DFP. Offering conflicting advice - even if their instructor is "wrong" - can cause some serious struggles, especially in a young player.

Dec 27, 2014
Man, tough crowd. Lol.

I can't tell what age, 10u? 12u? That motion would put her in the top 3 pitchers for what we saw in 10u REC last year and better than some we saw in 12u REC games DD guested in to help out. The point being REC. :)

Sure the critiques are spot on, but for 4 days she is still releasing her wrist and that is what most do NOT do in REC. If you can get some newbie, REC pitchers to this motion in a week or two you are golden in my book! :)

Good stuff in the stickies and I like this easy to follow checkpoints with pictures and explanations.
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/22025-basic-pitching-checkpoints.html

Aug 26, 2015
In my experience with rec ball, trying to be effective as a pitching coach while running a team is a tough challenge. With kids that wanted to pitch, I encouraged them to work on it as much as they could outside of team practices, and if they were very serious about it, work with a pitching instructor. If they didn't yet have an instructor, I would recommend one that I was familiar with. Another issue to be aware of is giving conflicting advice. If you have a player who is working with an instructor, their approach may be very different than what you learn from the fine folks of DFP. Offering conflicting advice - even if their instructor is "wrong" - can cause some serious struggles, especially in a young player.

No private instruction for any of the players. Great advice about encouraging private instruction. I intend to tell the parents of those interested about that.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Are you saying to have her go to pitching lessons to help me better understanding some of the basic concepts?

Yes that's exactly it.

Wouldn't that be the same as if I were sitting in on the clinics that will be held by the league without putting her through a pitching lesson?

No

When you invest into it, you have more one on one time with the instructor. You have face to face interactive versus a group setup. Who ever the league hires will only go over concepts vaguely.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You may also find that people may have a hard time taking your advice seriously since your DD is not a pitcher. It will be even worse if the local instructors are teaching HE, and you try to promote IR.

Aug 26, 2015
Man, tough crowd. Lol.

I can't tell what age, 10u? 12u? That motion would put her in the top 3 pitchers for what we saw in 10u REC last year and better than some we saw in 12u REC games DD guested in to help out. The point being REC. :)

Sure the critiques are spot on, but for 4 days she is still releasing her wrist and that is what most do NOT do in REC. If you can get some newbie, REC pitchers to this motion in a week or two you are golden in my book! :)

Good stuff in the stickies and I like this easy to follow checkpoints with pictures and explanations.
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/22025-basic-pitching-checkpoints.html

I think they are being tough because I asked for brutal honesty. At the time of that video, I'd never heard of IR, BI, k drill, t drill, liberty drill, any kind of drill. I would just have her to get her feet set and pitch. Then, I would tell her what to alter based on my foggy memory of Amanda or whoever else I'd just seen. Since then, I've learned quite a bit because I'm a learner at heart so if it's something new, I want to learn it. That being said, I appreciate the kind words about DD. She was 8U in that video for the record and I don't think I can get any other girl to that point in 4 days. I just happen to home school her, so I know how her brain ticks (as much as any male ever could know how a female brain ticks). The last thing I want is for the girls to be disgusted with themselves because they are bowling the whole inning they are out there and I have NOTHING to give them. That would break my heart for them. After all, this is REC. My goal is pretty singular. 1) Have fun. 2) Have fun. 3) Have fun. 4) Learn something new. 5) Want to return the next season. I have no desires of becoming Mike Candrea. Just want the girls to have the time of their lives playing in the dirt while giving those who want more a chance to succeed at it. Can't get there without brutal honesty, though. Well, I can't get there without brutal honesty, at least.

Aug 26, 2015
Yes that's exactly it.

No

When you invest into it, you have more one on one time with the instructor. You have face to face interactive versus a group setup. Who ever the league hires will only go over concepts vaguely.

I can see that. Less time to focus on detail with a group. Like large classrooms vs. small classrooms. You see that lightbulb above my head? I think it's been there all along, but I just noticed it :p

Aug 26, 2015
You may also find that people may have a hard time taking your advice seriously since your DD is not a pitcher. It will be even worse if the local instructors are teaching HE, and you try to promote IR.

If they don't want to take my advice, I could care less. I just want to make sure the advice I give has some value to it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If they don't want to take my advice, I could care less. I just want to make sure the advice I give has some value to it.

Fair enough. Here's another consideration....If you do get some attention talking about IR, who can you send them to for complete instruction?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1