Experts Needed: what are you seeing in this clip?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
Let me start off by saying my DD doesn't pitch. This clip is PRE-DFP and came only from me watching youtube clips of a few college pitchers to give her a point of reference to start. No problem with you being brutal here at all. DD pitched for roughly 4 days including this one (her last day) this past summer. She has moved on to catching and my shins are SO grateful for it. I am about to start coaching a team this year and just want to see if the things I see as errors are similar to what the experts here see. The main thing I want to do is "start" the girls who want to try pitching out on the right path as much as possible. I'm not looking to hang a shingle anywhere. Again, be as brutal as you need to. I'm more interested in what you are seeing than how it comes across and thanks as always.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns-6NnjH95o

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Very raw. Very arm focused. No drive, no resistance, no IR, no brush, no hip torque.....and to add insult your wearing sandals! Thats how my cousin lost a toe:rolleyes:
I'd highly recommend the Indiana clinic in March. We need a complete overhaul before muscle memory takes over.

Aug 26, 2015
Very raw. Very arm focused. No drive, no resistance, no IR, no brush, no hip torque.....and to add insult your wearing sandals! Thats how my cousin lost a toe:rolleyes:
I'd highly recommend the Indiana clinic in March. We need a complete overhaul before muscle memory takes over.

Wait wait....you doggin my sandals?!?!? Where's that ignore button? In all seriousness, thanks for the feedback lol. Keep em coming (but leave my crusty toes out of it!)

Aug 26, 2015
yea, catching in changlas is no bueno man. LOL

Get her a pitching coach to start showing and explaining certain techniques. Start building from there

She has no desire to pitch. I'm looking for what is wrong because I will be coaching her REC team this season and would prefer not to destroy any possibility of success if they (the pitchers) decide to pursue it any further.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
She has no desire to pitch. I'm looking for what is wrong because I will be coaching her REC team this season and would prefer not to destroy any possibility of success if they (the pitchers) decide to pursue it any further.

Ok if she has no desire to pitch, why are you working with her?

My point is, you want to learn for yourself too? Correct? Invest in a pitching coach for YOU and your dd. Take her to a few practices and ask the coach, the "why's" the "where's" and the "how's." Its so BOTH of you can learn. If she picks up a thing or two on learning how to do it properly, then hey awesome, bonus for the team and her. Now when you do coach it some, you also have a basic understanding and explanation. Every little bit helps.

Aug 26, 2015
Ok if she has no desire to pitch, why are you working with her?

DD pitched for roughly 4 days including this one (her last day) this past summer. She has moved on to catching and my shins are SO grateful for it.

DD has not even attempted to pitch since those 4 days in the summer. She doesn't want to pitch. Since that time, however, I came across DFP and the wealth of information here. I intend to go to several pitching clinics that will be held throughout the season, but I wanted to get some insight here about what you guys are seeing. Instead of assuming that I got it resolved, I figured I would ask you all here and compare against the flaws I saw to see if my understanding is headed in the right direction.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
DD has not even attempted to pitch since those 4 days in the summer. She doesn't want to pitch. Since that time, however, I came across DFP and the wealth of information here. I intend to go to several pitching clinics that will be held throughout the season, but I wanted to get some insight here about what you guys are seeing. Instead of assuming that I got it resolved, I figured I would ask you all here and compare against the flaws I saw to see if my understanding is headed in the right direction.

yes I get that she doesn't want to pitch, and that's great. My dd started off catching, will play infield, pitcher, outfielder, and currently sits the bench learning to score-keep. Point is the more you know. Catching, hitting and pitching coaches have a general knowledge of the setup. Remember this is for the team. Let her know she is being a team player. She doesn't have to like it, but even her being a catcher and communicating to her pitcher on mechanics will make her a more knowledgeable catcher.

Just tell your dd if she does this for daddy, you'll get her a pony! LOL

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
yes I get that she doesn't want to pitch, and that's great. My dd started off catching, will play infield, pitcher, outfielder, and currently sits the bench learning to score-keep. Point is the more you know. Catching, hitting and pitching coaches have a general knowledge of the setup. Remember this is for the team. Let her know she is being a team player. She doesn't have to like it, but even her being a catcher and communicating to her pitcher on mechanics will make her a more knowledgeable catcher.

Just tell your dd if she does this for daddy, you'll get her a pony! LOL

I'm at a loss here. Not sure why this one is going over my head, but it is lol. Are you saying to have her go to pitching lessons to help me better understanding some of the basic concepts? Wouldn't that be the same as if I were sitting in on the clinics that will be held by the league without putting her through a pitching lesson?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes