Everything is curving!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2020
My daughter started learning a curve ball a few months ago (and now her release is off on her other pitches) and everything is curving. Her pitching coach says that is normal and to focus on her release with each pitch. Well she was so nervous to pitch in the game due to not being able to make the adjustment with her other pitches. Just wanted to hear other peoples experience with this? She felt defeated before she started and ended up doing ok, not great but didn't know how to get her out of her head about it.

Aug 21, 2020
Do you have any video? My DD's PC is really clear that the mechanics of the curveball follow through is very different than the fastball follow through. Curveball is an early square up to the catcher at release with arm coming across the body vs. the FB/CU internal rotation follow through and squaring up after release.

I know my DD said it's always really tempting to square up early and rush the ending of a pitch; it could be what's happening hear if she's rushing the last part of the fastball and then everything curves.

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk

Sep 30, 2013
Northwest, IN
Square up early, and take arm across the body....... on a curve????

Take some video of her, 2 things to look at 1. is hand on the outside or more on the outide of the ball than behind it, on release (even angled) 2. what does FSR look like?

IMG_7233.jpg

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
There are two ways to throw the curve, palm up or palm in (rollover). Regardless either one can be confused with the fastball at release. When she warms up is she throwing curve spin or is it only when she goes full out? The releases of each pitch should feel different. Have her slow down and throw each one focusing on how the ball comes off the fingers. It's a matter of regaining the individual feel that comes with each pitch.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I had a similar issue with one of my students. I had her pitch hockey pucks across the infield. If she throws HE I don’t think it would help. I was too cheap to buy a bucket of spinners $$$$

Jan 28, 2020
There are two ways to throw the curve, palm up or palm in (rollover). Regardless either one can be confused with the fastball at release. When she warms up is she throwing curve spin or is it only when she goes full out? The releases of each pitch should feel different. Have her slow down and throw each one focusing on how the ball comes off the fingers. It's a matter of regaining the individual feel that comes with each pitch.
Thank you, yah I don't think she is throwing it with warm ups (only full out) although she has always had some curve spin to her fast ball.

Jan 28, 2020
Do you have any video? My DD's PC is really clear that the mechanics of the curveball follow through is very different than the fastball follow through. Curveball is an early square up to the catcher at release with arm coming across the body vs. the FB/CU internal rotation follow through and squaring up after release.

I know my DD said it's always really tempting to square up early and rush the ending of a pitch; it could be what's happening hear if she's rushing the last part of the fastball and then everything curves.

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk
I need to get some video to post.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Thank you, yah I don't think she is throwing it with warm ups (only full out) although she has always had some curve spin to her fast ball.
I am a big believer in marking a ball to make the spin easier to see so that the pitcher gets instant feedback. This way they can match the feel of the release to the spin. I put quarter size black spots in each of the 'horseshoes' with a black marker.

Aug 21, 2008

This is the 2021, updated better tool than the hockey puck or "spinner". Being able to use actual seams when pitching is an advantage, something you don't get with a spinner. It's a more realistic feel.

If you're a friend of mine on Facebook, contact Michael Bastian through my "friends", he sells these directly. I'm not sure if he invented this or not, but he was involved somehow. I think he sells them for $25 each or so.