Ever had this? *rant*

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Played a game today, starting in 40 degree weather (104 for the Americans ;) Humidity through the roof. Of course I get an umpire that called NOTHING but down the middle. No corners whatsoever. Watched it happen to the other team. Second batter, first pitch beautiful down the inside. Second pitch beautiful down the outside. Neither called. I'm sweating buckets from the heat and nothing whatsoever was getting called. Of course, all my balls are getting smacked as they weren't swinging unless it was fat.

To top it off next dig I had a ball called that was so low even I was shocked it got called (all he would call) The other team did the typical 'ohhhh' at the call. Next pitch, straight down the guts, not called! The dreaded catch up umpire.

Game called, as we went from 40 degrees to torrential downpour. Cyclone hitting Perth tomorrow!

Jul 26, 2010
How is your catcher receiving the ball? Is she catching the right half of the ball or just shoving the glove out there with half her glove and arm dangling outside the strike zone?

Sounds like just a tough ump, but that's part of the game. Your catcher can do things to help, make sure she is, but that of course isn't going to fix every crazy umpire.

Good luck with the weather!

-W

Nov 29, 2009
To top it off next dig I had a ball called that was so low even I was shocked it got called (all he would call) The other team did the typical 'ohhhh' at the call. Next pitch, straight down the guts, not called! The dreaded catch up umpire.

I have seen it many times before. There are some umpires who should NEVER be let behind the plate. For some strange reason those games seem to drag on forever and there is almost always some type of controversy during the game. Then I've seen others who are very consistent. The games moves along quickly with very little moaning an groaning on the part of the teams.

You know you have a bad umpire behind the plate when both teams are giving it to them.

I had a long time umpire tell me that he gets fewer gripes from both sides when he calls strikes. And the game goes faster.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
It's always a thousand times worse when the weather is really hot and humid. The only thing you can do at that point is smile and know that he is only increasing the amount of time he has to have his head inside a hot helmet and have all the protective equipment on!:cool:

May 25, 2010
Can't say I've ever been in a cyclone before, but if that's what I had to endure to get a free trip to Australia, sign me up. :)

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
Well, I had a practice session with a student yesterday in a Ice hockey arena. Temperature was 28F. Her pitching hand was numb, and the ball felt like a brick. That 104F sounds a little more comfy.
jim

Mar 13, 2010
How is your catcher receiving the ball? Is she catching the right half of the ball or just shoving the glove out there with half her glove and arm dangling outside the strike zone?

No, it's straight in front of her, nice and tight in the strike zone.

You know you have a bad umpire behind the plate when both teams are giving it to them.

Pretty much. The assistant coach for their team was moaning, trying to say I was getting pitches called they weren't but his team were telling him to shut it. (it's an adult fastpitch comp)

To make it all worse this was my team from last year (changed clubs this year, best move I made, don't regret it for a second, but it is hard to play my old team) and adfterwards at the bar was getting some nasty comments about how far they were hitting me. Got a tad upset when I pointed out I was throwing grapefruits (neither team was swinging at close pitches) and they should be hitting them.

May 18, 2009
At least the ump was calling the game the same way for both teams. I can live with bad officiating if it's equal but I've seen umps officiate against teams because the coach has gotten into an argument over a call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish