Ethical, Unethical?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I never would have thought of this. It's kind of clever really, and unlike the running on a second strike, it doesn't break any rules. I prefer to teach them how to play for real than teach tricks, but I can't help but think it's a kind of smart trick.

I will paraphrase sluggers from another thread: They are making the mistake of building players to win a 10U/12 game instead of building players to win in 16U and older

Jun 22, 2008
If the batter runs to 1B with less than 4 balls or on anything other than a dropped 3rd strike the umpire can call interference and the runner at 3B is out - would probably be the last time the coach tried that. That said, the catcher needs to keep up with the count and know what to do. You cannot have your "field general" daydreaming behind the plate.

This is not true, there is no rule against running to 1st with less than 4 balls or anything less than 3 strikes. If it happens repeatedly the umpire can warn the coach about unsportsmanlike conduct, but it is not interference and the defense is responsible for knowing the situation and making the appropriate play. And, when interference is ruled, it is always the player who interfered who is out unless that player is already out, then it moves to the runner closest to home.

Feb 3, 2011
Unethical is a strong word ... bush league is more fitting ...
Not to split hairs or anything, but from a coaching perspective, I would consider it unethical to deliberately lower the quality of one's teaching.

I will paraphrase sluggers from another thread: They are making the mistake of building players to win a 10U/12 game instead of building players to win in 16U and older
Swing-and-run on a WP/PB with 2 strikes and less than 3 balls is just a good, heads-up play in some cases. It means that the player is dialed in and aware of the situation when she takes advantage of the opportunity to get on base. Game awareness is a vital softball attribute, IMO.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
We play tomorrow against a team/school twice our size. We just might get killed. I am working on fundamentals every day and we have so much to learn. I'd rather go down working of fundamentals. I told the team tonight that we will work on them being able to compete for varsity spots by the end of this year and next and so, fundamentals will be all that we do. No trick plays!

Sounds like you have the right idea, as expected. Teach the girls how to play the game well and the rest will take care of itself.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
This is not true, there is no rule against running to 1st with less than 4 balls or anything less than 3 strikes. If it happens repeatedly the umpire can warn the coach about unsportsmanlike conduct, but it is not interference and the defense is responsible for knowing the situation and making the appropriate play. And, when interference is ruled, it is always the player who interfered who is out unless that player is already out, then it moves to the runner closest to home.

Maybe the umpire called them for intentional delay of game, or got the call wrong, but he took the runner off 3B and recorded an out when a team did it against us a couple of years ago.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Sounds like you have the right idea, as expected. Teach the girls how to play the game well and the rest will take care of itself.

As an FYI, we won tonight with fundamentals. The other team was better but somehow we made plays at key times.

Jun 22, 2008
Maybe the umpire called them for intentional delay of game, or got the call wrong, but he took the runner off 3B and recorded an out when a team did it against us a couple of years ago.

The coach should have protested the call.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Back in 14U our coach had all the girls run out the play to first on a third strike, dropped or not. The idea was to get them used to taking off rather than looking around to see if the catcher caught the ball.

I did this when coaching 10U and 12U. No intention of advancing other base runners, but it takes too much time to turn the head and watch the catcher on a swinging 3rd strike. The batter knows if she hit the ball or not so there isn't any reason to wait around and watch. However, in 14U the batter had better be able to make that decision on their own or they may need a little time on the pine to think about it.

Nov 18, 2013
I did this when coaching 10U and 12U. No intention of advancing other base runners, but it takes too much time to turn the head and watch the catcher on a swinging 3rd strike. The batter knows if she hit the ball or not so there isn't any reason to wait around and watch. However, in 14U the batter had better be able to make that decision on their own or they may need a little time on the pine to think about it.

I agree they should have learned at an earlier age, but MN doesn't allow real travel ball until 14U so our girls start off behind. Between completely dysfunctional leadership of our so-called leaders and the cold weather its a wonder any of our kids make it to the next level.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad