Ethical, Unethical?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
I don't have a problem with a girl running to first on a dropped third strike even if the base is occupide, i'd say thats part of the game. "Run till the ump calls you out" - But running on a dropped second strike smells of desperation.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Heard a coach discussing having a batter, with a 3 and 1 count and a runner on 3rd, run to first if the next pitch is a dropped strike. The purpose is to try and score the runner from 3rd if the catcher has lost track of the count and throws to first. What do you think of this?

Personally, I think a catcher confident enough to throw to first with a runner on third won't lose track of the count.

If the batter runs to 1B with less than 4 balls or on anything other than a dropped 3rd strike the umpire can call interference and the runner at 3B is out - would probably be the last time the coach tried that. That said, the catcher needs to keep up with the count and know what to do. You cannot have your "field general" daydreaming behind the plate.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
We had a runner called out for running on strike 2. Umpire called her out for something to the effect of an intentional distraction. She was 9yo, and genuinely thought it was strike 3.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
So, that is what is being coached instead of fundamentals. I knew something was happening but couldn't figure out what.

Jun 13, 2010
I don't think its really teaching the game, I think at this age other things should be emphasized. I did umpire at a travel tournament about 6 years ago and one team had a little trick down real good. If they would get 2 strikes and less than 3 balls in the count if the next pitch was an obvious out of the zone pitch they would swing and miss and run for first. they made it most of the time and they were pretty good 12 year olds. But I am beginning to think I don't really know anything about Softball anymore.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
CB, why bother learning the game when you can just cheat to win?

We play tomorrow against a team/school twice our size. We just might get killed. I am working on fundamentals every day and we have so much to learn. I'd rather go down working of fundamentals. I told the team tonight that we will work on them being able to compete for varsity spots by the end of this year and next and so, fundamentals will be all that we do. No trick plays!

Jun 12, 2015
I don't think its really teaching the game, I think at this age other things should be emphasized. I did umpire at a travel tournament about 6 years ago and one team had a little trick down real good. If they would get 2 strikes and less than 3 balls in the count if the next pitch was an obvious out of the zone pitch they would swing and miss and run for first. they made it most of the time and they were pretty good 12 year olds. But I am beginning to think I don't really know anything about Softball anymore.

I never would have thought of this. It's kind of clever really, and unlike the running on a second strike, it doesn't break any rules. I prefer to teach them how to play for real than teach tricks, but I can't help but think it's a kind of smart trick.

Jun 12, 2015
Interesting! Well, if it's against the rules I take back my opinion. I don't consider winning by cheating to be winning at all, whether it can be proven or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00