ESPN PRSENTATION ON ncaa softball to MLB game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
Did some of you really watch the demo. So if you are right then why can't the MLB hitters hit the female pitchers in the demo's that have been posted? This isn't the first demo that has had a elite female pitcher , pitch to a MLB player. Finch has a demo out there.

The MLB hitters face females typically in the off season, when they haven't been practicing, and they go in "cold". Meaning; they've never practiced swinging at an underhand pitch from a short distance. So, obviously they look bad. I'd bet that if they had a week of practice facing fast pitch pitches, they would hit the women as well as they hit baseball pitchers.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
There have been several elite softball players face MLB. Of course anyone could find that out of they were being honest .You can google it. Many U Tube vidoes out there. You get this quote if you google the question.

Also, go to a pro fastpitch game. I bet atleast one of the pitchers flirts with a no-no. It's for a reason. There are some GIRLS who can throw a fast pitch over 70 MPH from 43 feet. With the step toward the plate, it is more like 40 feet, an equivelent of a 90+ MPH baseball-that's a girl.
Barry Bonds tried to hit Jennie Finch and couldn't touch it-she struck out most MLB players she has faced-again-this is a girl. In fast pitch you have to swing 4 or 5 inches above or below the ball, if you swing at the ball, you will strike out every time. Men have been clocked at over 100MPH. You can count MLB pitchers that can do that on one hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastpitch_softball

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SBF ... your reference to not being "honest" strikes me as peculiar. You are the one that posted a link with distortions. Is there something specific that was posted that you feel was dishonest? If so, what exactly was it?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
This is not a scientific study, but we do it alot in high school. Have your baseball players try to hit a softball pitcher. DD has been doing this for years since Bustos always hits baseballs in a cage instead of softballs. We hit baseballs when we go to cages, since the softball machines are to slow. . After a period of time she has a bunch of boys watching and shaking their heads, since she almost always out hits them.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
SB, there is no question that many girls have a lot of skills. Also there are many demostartions of fast pitch pitchers making MLBers look silly at the plate but I think if you talk to most fast pitch pitchers male or female they will all tell you if MLBers took a couple hundered swings to adjust to the fast pitch release point that most of them would be extremely sucessful in a relatively short period of time.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The boyfriend (baseball player) of one of my hitters (FP player), has been attending her hitting sessions for about a month now. The first time he was a bit challenged, and my hitter outperformed her boyfriend ... we held hitting contests and he lost every one. Now this girl is no slough ... she leads her HS in HRs and was recently written up for what was described as a "towering home-run" ... yet her boyfriend is now putting her to shame when we hit. He has adapted well, and rather than striking out, he hits the ball much farther than she does ... truly towering shots.

My point is ... that a baseball player with a decent swing can learn to adapt to different pitch profiles, and if their swing is better, then they will yield superior results.

Jan 13, 2012
Did some of you really watch the demo. So if you are right then why can't the MLB hitters hit the female pitchers in the demo's that have been posted? This isn't the first demo that has had a elite female pitcher , pitch to a MLB player. Finch has a demo out there.

First, it's not a fair comparison to give a player 3 pitches and say "softball is tougher," because that's hardly a legitimate experiment. Second, as Five points out, the figures in the demo were skewed in one direction... probably to support a particular conclusion.

What I want to see is twofold: first, I want the MLB players to have some time to adjust, maybe more than 10 or 20 pitches. I would bet that Finch and others would need body armor. Secondly, I want to see the best hitters in the softball world try to hit off Justin Verlander or Aroldis Chapman. I would be amazed if someone who isn't Bustos made contact.

Jul 11, 2009

Sbfamily,
How dare you come on this FASTPITCH forum and dog baseball hitters! LOL. I think you struck a nerve with a couple guys. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi