errors?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
1.. Bases loaded. A ground ball hit to SS. She stops the ball clean. Looks around and tosses the ball to P while runners are going around bases.
Since she made zero attempt to get an out is that an error?

2.. Ball hit to the pifcher she lifts her leg to get out of the way and ball passes by her and second base.
Do they both get an error?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
1. Fielders choice (unless SS had no play in which case 1B). In either case, no error.

2. If P should have been able to field the ball with routine effort, E1. If no E1 and 2B should have been able to field it with ordinary effort and still get the out then E4. If P redirected ball or 2B needed more than ordinary effort to record out, no E4. I would think it would have to be really unusual to assign an E1 & E4 on the same ground ball in this case. Like E1 on P allowed batter to reach and subsequent E4 allowed them to advance another base or something like that.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
1. Agree w/ Sweet Lou. Fielder's choice if the scorer believes that the SS could've gotten the batter at first or any runner on a forceout with ordinary effort. Any time an infielder could've thrown out the batter but for some reason 'chooses' to do something else that causes the runner to be safe (even looking a runner back), that becomes a fielder's choice.

2. Agree with both previous answers, except that you can charge only one error per base allowed. So if, for example, an easy grounder goes through the legs of two infielders, only the first one is charged with an error. Also, if a middle infielder fails to react to an easy ground ball up the middle because she thinks the pitcher had it, that is not an error. In the case you described, I would assume that was a base hit unless it was an easy grounder that the pitcher could've fielded with ordinary effort.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
1. Is a base hit, not an error
2. Depends. Could the pitcher have fielded the ball with ordinary effort?

The SS fields a ball with ordinary effort, has a "brain fart" and throws it back to the pitcher, and you score it a base hit, but you want to give the pitcher an error on a ball because it COULD HAVE been fielded with ordinary effort......WOW!

The hit to the SS may not be an error, but there is a 98.2% chance she would be sitting next to me on the bench next inning!

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
For scoring 1.) if using NCAA rules 14.3.2.2 When a ground ball is fielded and no throw or a late throw is made, a hit is credited to the batter unless a throw was not made or was made late because of checking or holding a runner on base.

She was not holding the runner. Does checking the runner apply here? I don't think so. I think the rule is using checking and holding synonymously. Credit a base hit.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
For scoring 1.) if using NCAA rules 14.3.2.2 When a ground ball is fielded and no throw or a late throw is made, a hit is credited to the batter unless a throw was not made or was made late because of checking or holding a runner on base.

She was not holding the runner. Does checking the runner apply here? I don't think so. I think the rule is using checking and holding synonymously. Credit a base hit.

Interesting. Taken literally, which perhaps we should, you are correct. I just wonder if the one who wrote the rule was considering this particular situation, where a fielder makes no attempt at runners that clearly would've been out.

Mar 28, 2011
SW Ohio
I forgot fielder's choice as a possibility for 1. In that scenario the scorer needs to determine whether she was checking/holding a runner.

Here are some NCAA scoring guidelines:

14.3.2.2 When a ground ball is fielded and no throw or a
late throw is made, a hit is credited to the batter unless
a throw was not made or was made late because of checking or holding a runner on base.

14.22.12 When a pitcher mishandles a sharply batted ball.
Wild throws and the mishandling of routine ground balls and
bunts are reason for charging the pitcher with an error.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand