errors?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
For scoring 1.) if using NCAA rules 14.3.2.2 When a ground ball is fielded and no throw or a late throw is made, a hit is credited to the batter unless a throw was not made or was made late because of checking or holding a runner on base.

She was not holding the runner. Does checking the runner apply here? I don't think so. I think the rule is using checking and holding synonymously. Credit a base hit.

E official scorer! It's a FC. Based on my reading, the NCAA (and most other) ruleset avoids using synonyms to prevent confusion like this - terms generally have specific meaning. Although not specifically defined in the ruleset, holding a runner and checking a runner are very different IMO - holding a runner = looking at a runner to prevent advancement whereas checking a runner = looking at a runner to see if a play can be made successfully.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
E official scorer! It's a FC. Based on my reading, the NCAA (and most other) ruleset avoids using synonyms to prevent confusion like this - terms generally have specific meaning. Although not specifically defined in the ruleset, holding a runner and checking a runner are very different IMO - holding a runner = looking at a runner to prevent advancement whereas checking a runner = looking at a runner to see if a play can be made successfully.

Your explanation works for me.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Green-You've got me digging deeper.

A fielder’s choice is credited in the following situations:
14.7.1.4 When a runner is checked and no throw or a late throw is made, but the runner would have been out had the initial play gone to first base.

It first should have first been asked if the runner would have been out had the play gone to first base.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd