Error or Base Hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I went to the Colorado Rockies game the other day. There were two plays that I might have scored differently; in both instances the official scorekeeper for the Rockies game scored them hits, so now I'm rethinking how I score things; maybe I'm too harsh? Play number one - a hard hit, bouncing ground ball to second base; the second baseman had to move to his right. Knocked the ball down but then bobbled it, never got the throw off. I was thinking E4, but then I looked at the scoreboard and saw that it was scored a hit. Second play - runners on (first and third maybe? Can't recall exactly). Hard hit, bouncing grounder to short stop. The short stop knocked it down, but not in time to get the runner at second. Popped up with the ball but then held it. I was thinking fielder's choice? To hold the runner at 3d? Or maybe defensive indifference?? It was scored a hit. I hate having to use subjective calls in scorekeeping - I had figured that if the fielder bobbles the ball it is an error, but clearly the best scorekeepers in the world think differently - or is it a big conspiracy to pad batting averages in MLB? Some of both? Now do I have to start to judge how a 12 year old boy (I have the most trouble scorekeeping baseball - seems to be more subjective) should field a ball??

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'd have to see those plays. Were the fielders in front of the ball? Or did they go to their left or right and knock the ball down? Was it an unpredictable hop? Was it simply hard hit, or really scorched? On the second one, if the fielder could've gotten an out somewhere but held it in order to hold a runner, that's a FC.

Crazy Softball Guy

Casual Observer
May 31, 2013
For the first hit, maybe the scorekeeper felt that even if the second baseman had not bobbled the ball, would the runner still have beaten the throw. The second one sounds more like it should have been an FC, as he could have made a play to first but chose not to.

It is definitely a challenge trying to remain objective when scorekeeping 12 year olds, whether it's in baseball or softball. What's funny is hearing a parent complain that their kid didn't get credit for a hit when they either grounded out or popped out..."but he/she hit the ball, that's a hit, right?"

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I did stats and sent them out. Parent wanted to know why it didn't show her HR. I had to explain that her DD was safe at 1st because of an E6, which also gave her 2nd. The following E9 overthrow to LF gave her 3rd and home. That it was in no way a HR. :)

If the ball is in the hole and an infielder dives to make a play and knock down the ball but does not get up and make the out, the scorekeeper is probably thinking that they did not have a chance at the out, which I am OK with but it is a judgement call.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I did stats and sent them out. Parent wanted to know why it didn't show her HR. I had to explain that her DD was safe at 1st because of an E6, which also gave her 2nd. The following E9 overthrow to LF gave her 3rd and home. That it was in no way a HR. :)

What age?

For 8U rec league, I generally disregard errors. For 8U All-Stars, however, I score things pretty accurately (based on age and ability level, of course). On more than one occasion, I have had to explain to parents why I didn't credit their DD with a hit. So for, everyone has been understanding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand