Erin's hitting mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
erin 9 19 - YouTube

I would like to get some feedback on this hitter, started working with her on Mon for the first time. She is very strong and was/is a dead pull hitter and is not using the lower half nearly enough. This was taken before our lesson I will get new video next week. Hitter is 16 yr old jr in HS.

First lesson we worked on coiling the lower half, loading the hands pointing the knob to catcher feet, and hitting the inside of the ball driving it back up the middle. Would like others toughts on her swing.

Oct 25, 2009
Sounds like you're on the right track. Her grip needs attention also; bat's too deep in her hands and too tight. When she reaches separation (toe touch, hands in launch position) have her hold the bat with just her top hand and tell her to hold it as if she is getting ready to throw the bat as far as she can. That's where her hands should be when she is at launch position.

Check out this video. It states and shows it as simple as I've ever seen it. Review it often! I've got it on my Ipod Touch, comes in handy. Memorize those absolutes. He also has a right-handed version but I like this one better.

John Mallee 6 Steps of a Major League Swing Hitting Tips - YouTube

Last edited:

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I agree with softballphreak about her grip. I think she should also have her rear elbow a tad higher than the front instead of the front higher than the rear. When doing this with the proper grip it will help to develop the bat angle during her load that you see in the Mallee video.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Things I notice...
1- Starts with the bat too flat. You are already working on this by having her load and point the knob at the catcher's feet during the stretch.
2- Droping her hands to get on level with the pitch, no tilt.
3- Straightening the front arm, which causes her to hit the ball too far out front (bat pointed toward 2nd baseman) and pull the ball with her arms already extended. Doing this makes it hard to be consistant where she hits the ball on the bat. First swing she hits it off the end of the bat, second swing it hits too close to the handle. She pulls both to the left.

Having her load properly will help, but she also needs to learn to tilt at the hips and lead with the front elbo to keep from extending her arms too early. Leading with the front elbo will keep her from having to pull her front shoulder early and alow the ball to get deeper (inside the front foot) into the zone, and will help her hit more up the middle.

Staightening the front arm before contact is something I see alot, and it leads to either casting the bat out over the plate, or pulling the front shoulder early. Both lead to pulling the ball to the left for RH hitters.

Jul 21, 2008
Things I notice...
1- Starts with the bat too flat. You are already working on this by having her load and point the knob at the catcher's feet during the stretch.
2- Droping her hands to get on level with the pitch, no tilt.
3- Straightening the front arm, which causes her to hit the ball too far out front (bat pointed toward 2nd baseman) and pull the ball with her arms already extended. Doing this makes it hard to be consistant where she hits the ball on the bat. First swing she hits it off the end of the bat, second swing it hits too close to the handle. She pulls both to the left.

Having her load properly will help, but she also needs to learn to tilt at the hips and lead with the front elbo to keep from extending her arms too early. Leading with the front elbo will keep her from having to pull her front shoulder early and alow the ball to get deeper (inside the front foot) into the zone, and will help her hit more up the middle.

Staightening the front arm before contact is something I see alot, and it leads to either casting the bat out over the plate, or pulling the front shoulder early. Both lead to pulling the ball to the left for RH hitters.

Great observation.....I notice several of your points when I first saw her. The straightening of the front arm is a hard habit to break. Any drills you use to help with the front arm straingtening. I usually use the one hand drills.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Great observation.....I notice several of your points when I first saw her. The straightening of the front arm is a hard habit to break. Any drills you use to help with the front arm straingtening. I usually use the one hand drills.

Before you go crazy on this objective you may wish to review some of Yeager's work in this area.

Oct 12, 2009

So Caitlin Benyi does it all wrong?

Caitlinside.gif

Caitlinfront.gif

Every good hitter eventually gets the bat flat.

While some can be helped by starting out with the bat not flat, it's no panacea.

Here biggest issue is...

2- Dropping her hands to get on level with the pitch, no tilt.

I agree.

There's also the issue that she seems to be consciously trying to take her hands to the ball.

I'm not sure that this isn't a timing thing or related to number 2 above.

P.S. I really don't see much arm bar, and what there is is probably due to how she takes her hands to the ball and hits the ball out front.

P.P.S. Her grip isn't something I'd focus on now, if at all.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
I ask what she has been taught about the grip and she demo the alighnment of door knocking knuckles.

Chris would like your openion on what you would focus on?