ERA question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
How are you calculating TB era? I've always done the 7 inning multiplier since that is the "normal" school inning count.

Then last night a fellow TB coach says he uses 5 inning multipliers. His argument was in the 75 min TB games we usually average 5 innings.

How do you do it? Have I been cheating DD all these years with a higher era?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've begun using the average number of innings that my team plays per game. That's probably around 4.5, but it may change slightly after each tournament. By doing it that way, it tells me exactly what each pitcher is allowing per game with no errors in the field.

If you want to know a how a pitcher is doing from one year to the next, or from one team to the next, or if you're comparing pitchers on different teams, then the 7 innings makes more sense.

Oct 19, 2009
I understand that I was just too lazy to do the reverse math to see how my Ipad figures it - was hoping someone knew offhand.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I understand that I was just too lazy to do the reverse math to see how my Ipad figures it - was hoping someone knew offhand.
Not to be capitan obvious but it is simple algebra

ERA = ER / IP * Innings Base (5, 6, 7, 9 - depending on what game and league)

so if you know ERA from the app and ER & IP from the score book you can simply get

Innings Base = ERA / ER * IP

To know what they are basing it on

I do agree though that anything besides 7 IP for softball is a deceptive ERA.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Anything published as ERA not based on 7 innings is deception.

Exactly.

earned run average (ERA) is the mean of earned runs given up by a softball pitcher per seven innings pitched. Not per "game", per "7 innings", the length of a standard game.

Jul 26, 2010
It's travel ball, you'll stop calculating her ERA soon and just start counting the number of perfect (4 inning) games.

-W

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD's TB team uses Game Changer and it calculates an ERA for the pitchers, but I have no idea how many innings it is based on. Anyone know?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523