Equal arm development

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2010
My 11 YO DD has been pitching for a little over 1 year now and she has developed pretty good speed. Her mechanics still need help but we're working on that. My concern is that her right arm (throwing) seems to be more muscular and developed as compared to the left. Is this a concern? If so, what should she do to "balance" herself? She also plays other positions well and can hit pretty good too, so I don't want her to focus just on pitching. I'm worried that this uneven arm development may hinder her progress in other areas.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes, that is a legitimate concern called muscle imbalance. Many people strengthen that side using surgical band exercises. It looks like you are in an area, where you could get a personal trainer to take a look at her and make some suggestions.

I personally like the Finch Windmill, to strengthen both sides.

Oct 12, 2009
Yes, that is a legitimate concern called muscle imbalance.

Not exactly.

Muscle imbalance is when two opposing muscles (Bicep and Tricep) on the same arm are of different strengths. In baseball pitchers, too much front side work can make the engine muscles bigger than the braking muscles and strain the braking muscles (Teres Minor).

One arm being larger than the other happens a lot in tennis. It can look weird but isn't dangerous. Here's Rafael Nadal, who's a lefty.

03-Rafael%20Nadal.PV__.jpg

This is generally more obvious in men due to their greater muscle mass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13