End of season parent complaints!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
4 quest player 11 total players,the quest would be playing defense half the games and offensive side the whole game.Thats a pretty good deal for a quest player that didn't have to pay to be on the team.Only their food,gas and hotel if any.That's not disrespect,thats a good deal for more time playing softball.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
I totally agree that thats a good deal for the guest player which is as it should be IMO . When you consider the flip side is not playing in the tournament that you have already paid to play in I think its more than fair . Again this is simply my opinion and its worth every nickel it cost you to read it ;)

Jul 26, 2010
When I have guests over to my home, I treat them with respect and make sure that they are well taken care of. I expect my family to behave the same and make accommodations for the guests. I approach guest players on my softball teams the same way. They are guests and my team is my family.

-W

Jan 24, 2011
Since this has turned into a discussion about pick up players , I have a question / need some help. For the entire year , I have carried a roster of 13. Only had to use a pickup one time (we added a tournament spur of the moment and some girls on vacation). Anyway , our "end of the season tournament" at Myrtle Beach next weekend. This past weekend I had one girl quit the team , one cant go due to health issues with a parent and one who isnt going due not wanting to miss HS volleyball workouts. So , I am down to 10. Do I pick another girl to go with us (Just in case of illness , injuries , etc)? We will be good distance from home , so I would hate to forfeit games if something happens. The two girls that I would consider as pickups are well known to all our other players. One was the pickup from earlier in the year and the other played with us last Fall. What do you guys think?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Cyclone, you bring in a couple of pickup players. You've got some real good reasons. Explain it to the players and parents that you need a couple of more kids in case something happens. I don't see it as a big deal.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
Since this has turned into a discussion about pick up players , I have a question / need some help. For the entire year , I have carried a roster of 13. Only had to use a pickup one time (we added a tournament spur of the moment and some girls on vacation). Anyway , our "end of the season tournament" at Myrtle Beach next weekend. This past weekend I had one girl quit the team , one cant go due to health issues with a parent and one who isnt going due not wanting to miss HS volleyball workouts. So , I am down to 10. Do I pick another girl to go with us (Just in case of illness , injuries , etc)? We will be good distance from home , so I would hate to forfeit games if something happens. The two girls that I would consider as pickups are well known to all our other players. One was the pickup from earlier in the year and the other played with us last Fall. What do you guys think?

I would take at least one and probably two guest players for the reasons you stated. Why risk having to forfeit or take outs if someone gets sick or injured?

Apr 15, 2010

I certainly think you can take the pickup players, but you have to exercise some judgement over how and when they play. For example, if the 3 missing players are two outfielders and a shortstop, and your two pickup players are ace pitchers, I don't think it would be right to pitch the two new girls and have your regular pitchers sit. The pickup players need to sub for the roles of the players you're missing. Anything else, and you're risking a (probably justified) parent uprising.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
This is one reason I banned the after game meeting. It really serves no purpose that can't be address with a 24 hour hold or when you can actually practice.

Wow, just getting into this post, because like parent complaints, I ignore posts about parent complaints. Off subject of page 300 of this post, but screwball is 100% right. Mom's are nuts! My DW is the grand marshall of all of them. The kid's sports that I don't coach I am non-stop telling dw "You got to chill!"

My favorite quick fix to after game tournament complaint approaches "You can buy me lunch on Tuesday and we will talk about it."

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
When I have guests over to my home, I treat them with respect and make sure that they are well taken care of. I expect my family to behave the same and make accommodations for the guests. I approach guest players on my softball teams the same way. They are guests and my team is my family.

-W

This isn't the analogy that fits my approach. Of course I'm going to respect and take care of pickup players. But I don't view them the same as I would guests in my home. If you're a guest in my home, I'm concerned with your comfort first, and my family and I are expected to take care of ourselves. With my softball team, pickup players are not more or less important than my own players. They don't get to play whatever position they want. My players don't want those kinds of guests, and I don't blame them.

That said, you and I probably treat pickup players the same. I just wouldn't use 'house guest' as the comparison.

And, I also don't get the 'double-edged' sword analogy used by other posters about pickup players, either. Yes, you have to balance the needs of pickup player and regular player, but it ain't that hard, IMO. You talk to the pickup player/family and say this is the role that I have available for the tournament. Are you interested? It's as simple as that. It becomes a sword only when the coach fails to communicate the expectations to both sides ahead of time, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom