End-loaded bats an young hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
My 11-year old has 2 years at 10U under her belt and a nice swing she's worked hard to develop. She's really solid with tee work, etc. I like where she's at. She was given a never-used 2005 end-loaded RocketTech 30 inch by a friend...she loves the pop, big difference from what she was using (a low-end composite). She's on the small side. I wonder what impact using the RT (versus her more balanced bat before) will have on her swing development at such a young age. Might she develop bad habits with the extra "actual" weight of the bat. Does swing approach need to change with an end-loaded bat?

I'd rather have her to continue to develop a nice swing for years to come than get a few bat hits today....

I'm not trying to be negative about the RT in any way, I'm just worried given her age and level of development moving to it...

Any thoughts?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am going to a clinic tomorrow with the developer of Right View Pro, at the softball field at Uof AZ. There is going to be a lot of info on hitting. I am going to ask about bat selection and if the high priced bats are worth the cost. I will ask if an end loaded bat can cause a problem for a young player.

Mar 11, 2009
ttt

I am going to a clinic tomorrow with the developer of Right View Pro, at the softball field at Uof AZ. There is going to be a lot of info on hitting. I am going to ask about bat selection and if the high priced bats are worth the cost. I will ask if an end loaded bat can cause a problem for a young player.

Amy what kind of feedback did you get about endloaded and performance bats?
Thomas

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was told the common "swing the heaviest bat that you can handle."

Sorry, they just didn't cover bat selection at all.

Sep 3, 2009
Sorry, can you clarify on 'end loaded'? I understand the weight is more towards the end of the bat. But is this a measurement, such as the drop? I've heard of it, but never seen numbers. Especially comparing one bat to another.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I have some experience with the RT. It can definately have a negative effect on a batters success. Start by looking at her off the tee. If you see obvious changes for the worse in the swing and results reinforce the good swing with her other bat, then have her work a bit in slow-mo and see if she can get the hang of it. A kid that can confidently handle the RT can blast it but it's a unique bat for many kids from the end loaded feel to the little knob.

Oct 14, 2008
End Loaded Bats such as a Rocketech can and will change a hitters hand path. If your dd is currently using a balanced bat or your dd is a smaller girl you will notice a change in her swing mechanics. My dd has used end loaded bats ( 05 R/T ) since she was 11u and is now 16u...... I have tried on several occasions to switch her to a balanced bat and her swing goes to crap in a hand bag real fast,,,,,,, hands get thru the zone to quick, hands are either above or below the plane of pitch. to any parent thinking of switching their dd to an end loaded bat I will offer 2 pieces of advice from our own expreience (1) do this in the off season.... nothing worse than little suzy doing well and dad wants more pop for the buck ,switches her and her BA goes in the trash can.. give her time on a T to develop the proper hand path. (2) buy the right sized end loaded bat....... if suzy swings a drop 10 say a 31/21 and you put her in a R/T thats drop 9 you have just added 2 oz,s of end weight to her bat on the barrell, r/t,s are normaly heavier than their sold weight, be patient and realistic about what she can swing

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad