Electing New Leaque Volunteers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2012
WV
I'm going to try to quick about this- because I could go on forever.
**We have a treas. who has been the treas. for quite some time - I've had no problem with her- didn't care about any of it, until now.
**My daughter is 12 and loves fastpitch, my younger daughter also loves to play in the same league, only with the little ones.
**A new president was appointed this year, and his wife was appointed secretary.
**After finding out who, I thought - yea ! Someone younger, someone who will have lots of energy, someone who will get alot accomplished with the league - That was in March 2012
**May - We aren't allowed on any of the fields until school is out. It has to do with the lease from the BOE. Seems like something could be worked out - We could have at least used the field the Jr High girls were not using at the time - or maybe we could have been getting it ready for practice.
**June - "B" field is in horrible condition. Bees are swarming the dugouts, trash is ridiculously forgotten about all around the fields. I called to see who is responsible for picking it up. Turns out, no one claiims responsibilty. I was told that if I picked it up, it would be like that in a day or two because the kids coming through really don't care. **sigh.
**June - 2 weeks in, we have been practicing on a field and the infield still looks like the outfield, with some divits. I was told that it wouldn't be any trouble and he would get to it. Everytime I called, it was always, "The Prison Women will be down tomorrow to fix things up" or "I'll get it" The Prison women came and painted "A" fields concession house. Meanwhile, "B" still resemembles something found in the projects. At practice, some girls were finding broken glass on the field. Grrr...
**We signed up in Feb or March and gave our t-shirt sizes at that time, when it was game time - I still had some girls with out shirts, it was a mess up they said and 2 of my shirts needed to be reordered. Wow- they came so quickly this time, like in a couple of days.
**We only began playing with new balls towards the middle of the season.
**We had like 15 kids in the league go to 4-H camp and they scheduled games through the week, his daughter had to go to band camp and the tournaments were pushed back. ?
**Still have not recieved the medals for my girls who won the tournament.

At the trophy presentation party, I asked the Treas. when a new league president would be elected, I was informed that new people are voted in, no one steps in until we step down and we already have things in place for next year...
I take that to mean that the fundraiser was a flop - which I volunteered for, but heard nothing. These people are lazy or are just too busy ? Their fundraiser was horrible and are probably in the hole, so inorder to cover themselves, the fee to play will cost more and they don't want anyone to know- it was in an email I recieved about needing desperately to sell tickets or next year's fee would go up.

I'm not the only one complaining. I think we are ASA - I'm not sure.
Does anyone have any advice ?

I don't mind to volunteer my time and get involved, they just won't let anyone in.
That wasn't very short, but for those that hung in there, thank you.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I hear you. If you are not getting a thorough accounting of where the money is and how much they have, there needs to be an audit. I hear all of the time, about money going missing from loosely ran organizations, like you describe.

As far as the fields, bees, divots, etc. someone is responsible for those fields. In a small town, I would be at the next Mayor's meeting or at the next school board meeting. Point out the differences between the boy's organization and the girl's. Point out that they are responsible for the safety of the children.

Can you possibly play in another organization or drive to the next town? I think that you are going to uncover a world of problems.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
This sounds more like a board of directors for the league who have not stepped up to do their jobs. If the organization is a 501c3 and is collecting fees, someone needs to account for how the money is spent. Our Little League has a Board that is responsible AND accountable to the rest of the organization to ensure that the season runs smoothly. There should be by-laws and a process in place to ensure that the organization is run in a transparent manner. If you do not believe that is happening, I suggest you get a copy of the by-laws, and find out who is responsible and accountable for what. Sometimes that means volunteering your own time to become a board member. If you are not willing to do that, your complaints will fall on deaf ears as coming from a disgruntled parent who is otherwise not involved with the league.

Jun 8, 2012
WV
I can't become a board member, the Treas. informed me that no one steps in until someone steps down. I'm pretty sure we are an ASA league. I'm more than willing to volunteer my time.
I was more than willing this year to work on the field - just tell me what to do.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
ASA does not have anything to do with the management of Rec softball leagues, you may choose to use their rule book. As PA SB Dad said, you have a board and perhaps local government delinquent in their responsibilities.

Jun 8, 2012
WV
To be honest, the money doesn't bother me a whole lot. We recieved our shirts, I assume we will get our medals eventually.
I just want the kids to be proud of where they play. I want a concession stand that is run by league volunteers and not a certain person who does it for his own profits. The league could use that money for new equipment- Our catchers gear is really old, our bases are ancient, the field could use some new dirt... not to mention mowing the grass in the field... I guess money does kind of matter, but I don't think it's being abused, I really think the president showed a lack of interest to the younger 12yr old girls. Nothing seemed to matter except for the age range his daughter played in. I really don't think that is right. If we planned well now, we could plan a softball camp for the girls and coaches- go over the rules... teach them fundamentals... charge a little... have some college girls to come by, maybe a hitting coach and pitching coach, sell concessions. I feel frustrated and a little lost on what to do. The board of Education will probably just say it's the league's responsibility and the league will just say, they'll fix and then they never do.

Jun 8, 2012
WV
Thank you Axe, that's what I was needing to know. That's a shame that ASA doesn't have any bylaws pertaining the league officers.

Jun 8, 2012
WV
I think I have it - sort of - I could complain to the BoE about the leasee of the softball fields and how it wasn't being taken care of properly and many were dissapointed this last season ? Talk about making a stink... 8)

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
well ive been on little league boards over the past 10 years and currently on a asa board as president. both boards as 501c have to have a board meeting( general meeting) every year and elect new officials. these meetings are supposed to be public notification( ie newspaper,email,etc.) and all the public who participated have a vote. i come from a small town so those votes are usually already decided before because no one ever wants to volunteer their time.. we also have monthly status meetings with bank statements and time for general questions. if they lease the parks the parks are usually responsible for field conditions but both leagues i was involved in we have a person in charge of field maintenance and we always organized field days before season started. sounds like your new bored might of been overwhelmed or lazy. good luck

May 20, 2008
Well wow.... I think job one would be to try and get your hands a copy of the by-laws and if they are a non-profit organization or a quasi-government organization I believe they are required to have one (I'm assuming this is not a private organization). This should spell out the officer positions, their roles, when and how often elections take place, who can vote, etc etc. I would also go to the town, they should be able to give you information on what rules and regulations they fall under and they may, just may, take a harder look at the organization. And get the other parents who are unhappy, organized and on board to step up as officers. At least with this info you can figure out if you can win a fight or if it's just better to go to another organization.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck