elbow hitting side with IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2009
changing to IR, daughter has started hitting her side with her with elbow from time to time. she hit it 3-4 times in one practice. elbow was sore.
has much more spin now, speed about the same. any suggestions of why and how to stop the elbow from hitting her side.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Most likely she is pulling the ball/her arm behind her head as she tries to get the IR. If the arm is coming down behind her body, she will naturally try to get it out from behind so she can throw it. If that's the case (and this is a total guess, sight unseen) she's not getting it out from behind early enough, causing her to hit her elbow on her side.

Try having her keep the ball more on-line throughout the circle. One way to do it is have someone put their hand on her throwing shoulder as she throws to keep it from wandering behind. This usually works better from a side position than a full-on pitching position.

Jul 14, 2008
changing to IR, daughter has started hitting her side with her with elbow from time to time. she hit it 3-4 times in one practice. elbow was sore.
has much more spin now, speed about the same. any suggestions of why and how to stop the elbow from hitting her side.

Impossible to know without video......Could be squaring her hips early.....Could be arm circle ineffiiciencies coming too far from the inside.. .....Could be leaning toward her glove arm through release........Could be anything really......

In my opinion if her velocity hasn't improved using I/R she my not have it just right........

Need video........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom