Easy question on subs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2024
This is probably a dumb question. If I have 10 players in the lineup (9 regular and 1 extra player hitting) and one on the bench, can the bench player play defense? I'm in a weird situation where I have 11 players available but one cannot hit.

Mar 1, 2013
She's listed as a sub, so if she plays defense then she's in the game and is replacing one of the 10 already in the lineup.

Sep 8, 2015
This is probably a dumb question. If I have 10 players in the lineup (9 regular and 1 extra player hitting) and one on the bench, can the bench player play defense? I'm in a weird situation where I have 11 players available but one cannot hit.
Sounds like a perfect DP/Flex situation.

DP/Flex with the player who cannot hit. She will be your Flex. List her at the bottom of the lineup with Flex position. List one of the other batters as DP. Flex and DP can be on defense at the same time. They both cannot be in the hitting lineup. The Flex can only hit if you sub her in to hit.

There are lots of other tidbits associated with DP/Flex, but this should get you where you want. My only question would be if the org you are playing will allow EPs and DP/Flex. Most will.

DP/Flex is Org specific. So make sure you know the rules for what you are playing. Most orgs have something similar. When in doubt ask the tourney director.

May 10, 2024
Sounds like a perfect DP/Flex situation.

DP/Flex with the player who cannot hit. She will be your Flex. List her at the bottom of the lineup with Flex position. List one of the other batters as DP. Flex and DP can be on defense at the same time. They both cannot be in the hitting lineup. The Flex can only hit if you sub her in to hit.

There are lots of other tidbits associated with DP/Flex, but this should get you where you want. My only question would be if the org you are playing will allow EPs and DP/Flex. Most will.

DP/Flex is Org specific. So make sure you know the rules for what you are playing. Most orgs have something similar. When in doubt ask the tourney director.
I think the problem is I want to bat 10 of my 11, so don't think that would work. If I only had 10 players and wanted to bat 9, then yes, dp/flex.

Oct 24, 2010

pg. 29

PLAYERS A team shall consist of at least nine players, whose positions
shall be designated as; (1) Pitcher, (2) Catcher, (3) First Baseman, (4) Second
Baseman, (5) Third Baseman, (6) Shortstop, (7) Left Fielder, (8) Center
Fielder, (9) Right Fielder. In addition, a team may optionally include a DP/
FLEX and/or up to two Additional Players (APs). The maximum number of
players in the lineup is 12; the maximum number of batters in the batting order
is 11.