Easton Mako Torq Fastpitch Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2013
DD is so happy with her 2015 LXT-has hit 3 HR's (got the bat at the end of Fall season) and 1 was over the fence!! Thanks CoreSoftball!!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Got some interesting feedback about the Torq from a friend in the FP business who was at this weekend's World Softball Coaches Convention in CT. He said that there was a lot of talk about the Torq - ran the course from too pricey, a gimmick, to game changer. He talked to one high-level (whatever that means) 16 or 18U coach swore by it and claimed that statistically his players were hitting 30 to 50 points higher with the Torq than they had with the regular Mako. His working theory was that, even with hitters with good mechanics, the Torq enabled the hitter to make solid contact and/or square up the ball more frequently, particularly noting that former opposite field grounders were transformed into line drives up the middle. My friend also noted that the bat sales were primarily to the college teams. Anecdotally, the twisting handle was developed by someone who didn't grow up playing a bat/ball sport to solve a perceived problem.

All second hand information, but from a person who's opinion I value. At this point I'm certainly not running out to buy one, but it has swayed my opinion from a severely doubting Thomas to at least reserving judgement until more reports come in. YMMV

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I would like to know if this "high level" coach has a sponsor/buy in with Easton? Because saying his "players" means many players have this bat and have forked over the money. Honestly, sounds like an advertisement. This bat will turn a ground ball to the oppo field to a line drive up the middle :)

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I would like to know if this "high level" coach has a sponsor/buy in with Easton? Because saying his "players" means many players have this bat and have forked over the money. Honestly, sounds like an advertisement. This bat will turn a ground ball to the oppo field to a line drive up the middle :)

I anticipated that you would weigh in on this, Core! Don't know the answer to your question, but if I were that coach AND I had a deal with Easton, I wouldn't make my players swing the Torq (or any bat for that matter) if they thought that it didn't hit better than the regular Mako. I believe the stat comparison was based on 5 players who went from the Mako to the Mako Torq. I wouldn't rule out that the stat improvement is related to player development, lower quality pitching, but...

While I do agree that groundball-line drive transformation is hard to believe, I'm temporarily modifying my initial impression (negative) and waiting for more feedback from others before issuing the official GM evaluation about this new hitting tool. Oops, I did just go Ricky H 3rd person there, didn't I

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I don't even rule out the groundball to linedrive change if the person starts swinging the right bat, improved mechs and so on.

I do rule out an oppo field groundball turns into a line drive up the middle with nothing but a bat change...haha

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I don't even rule out the groundball to linedrive change if the person starts swinging the right bat, improved mechs and so on.

I do rule out an oppo field groundball turns into a line drive up the middle with nothing but a bat change...haha

unless the hitter was led to believe that she was changing to a magic bat

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
So I have a question and it may be more for the hitting technical forum but I'll post it here anyway. If a player is pushing the bat and has their palms pointing towards the outfield/backstop versus palm up-palm down at contact and has a tendency to over-roll their hands at contact which would normally cause a ground ball. Would this bat not create more line drives since the barrel rolls to deplete/delete/diminish this effect? That could realistically cause more line drives by hitting the ball "square" as opposed to creating downward spin towards the ground and very well could hide many improper swing mechanics. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish