Easton Mako Torq Fastpitch Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2014
Thanks For The Feedback

Thanks for all the replies I appreciate it. I agree about the price I had found one for 300 still a lot but wanted to know more about it and if anyone had used one and their though

ts on it before spending the money. Think I'll stick to the Mako .

longball00

Softball is my obsession
Apr 8, 2014
Willoughby, Ohio
My DD loved the regular Mako, and swung the Torq to see what the hype was about. She took exactly 5 swings and put it down and said no thanks. I can see where it might cause mis hits for players with weaker wrists. Just my opinion.

Jan 24, 2009
Ok, real opinion:
That barrel is probably exactly as good as the orange Makos, having likely originated together as identical twins, but were then dressed out with different paint and handles. Fine, barrel likely= among the best 2015s.

Color: It is cool. Does the color make the ball go further? The only answer that matters is your DD's, but consult your wallet and wife.

Handle: The only "real" performance consideration seems to be the claim-to-fame 'revolutionary' handle. What should you expect? DD picked one up to swing it and found a little novelty in playing with the swivel mechanism to see how it works. She noted that when she swung, however, there was "little to no" handle swivel action.

"I could see girls messing with it and revving it like a motorcycle before starting to swing, like other nervous habits that girls have, but the bat feels like any other bat to swing."--DD

My GUESS, is that *if the action of the handle causes a player to nervously mess with grip/hand allignment, then maybe the swivel action will promote/allow a correction of the problem that it created. :)

Does it NEED to swivel? No, a swing just doesn't call for that. Is there a competitive advantage to the swivel handle? No, because a swing just doesn't call for that technology. The handle is a solution looking for a problem--that doesn't exist IMO.

The problem that this design will find, as others have pointed out, is is in wear/tear and durability. This has yet to be proven though. In fact, this entire post is conjecture after limited experience handling the bat in a store.

There. You get what you pay for with regard to my opinion.

You don't get what you pay for wrt this technology...I.M.O. Note that that does not make this a BAD bat, but rather an overly EXPENSIVE bat with unnecessary, perhaps useless, options.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The orange Mako is the closest thing Easton has made to recreating the pop in the discontinued Stealths, but at a $400 price tag, thats too salty for me... The rotating handle on the Torque is a joke to me, especially with the masive $450 tag on it. How about people just teach better mechanics and eliminate the wrist roll at the source of the problem rather than grosley overpaying for a bat to supposedly fix the issue.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Saw a kid swinging one at a combine last weekend...no idea if it was the player or the bat, but she was hitting MONSTER shots with it. Sounded pretty much like a Mako.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The orange Mako is the closest thing Easton has made to recreating the pop in the discontinued Stealths,

There in lies the rub....3 years on they are still trying to match the Stealth. What happened, someone's dog eat the forumla? If they brought it back tomorrow they'd sell a ton of them.

Jan 24, 2009
There in lies the rub....3 years on they are still trying to match the Stealth..

There is zero attempt by any of the big three to match the Stealth. The reason is simple. There is a larger profit margin in making high end, throw-away bats these days.

What happened, someone's dog eat the forumla? If they brought it back tomorrow they'd sell a ton of them.

The idea is to NOT saturate the market with great bats that last for 3+ years. The idea is to sell, sell, and sell again. Sales are lost when bats are handed down or resold and re-used multiple times. Planned obsolescence is the name of the game. A profitable widget in the 'big three' model needs to start hot, then lose a bit if it's pop or break at just the right interval so as to maximize revenue.

Probably. :)

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
I was talking to the big box store buyer last night at our Association meeting about this. They are finding the market for softball is higher than expected on the bat, and the Baseball a little lower. He said his son's high school team used a proto type and it was a 33% loved it, 33% found it not any advantage, 33% hated it.

He also took a production one to his daughters softball team and they were split 50, 50 on it. His opinion is that it helps with inside and off speed pitches as it is a little more forgiving to the players who have a hard time turning the barrel to those pitches. His comment was it helped the girls hit those pitches with a little more pop when they connected, but nothing earth shattering.

Just some second hand notes from an informal bs session.

The barrel is the Mako of old, and it is designed for the barrel to turn, not the handle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish