Easton just voluntarily removed a truckload of bats from ASA certified bat list

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
OK, I guess I'll just have to trust you on the strike thing, hadn't heard of it before. And the numbers in that powerpoint are probably not out of proportion to the # of bats that each brand sells. That powerpoint didn't say anything about which brands were failing compression testing either, just stuff about cracks+rattles+wobbles etc.

You have a conflict of interest. You're speculating about ASA's intentions. If they knew they were going to pull certain bats ahead of time, I'm not sure why giving notice isn't the better way to do it. The fact that some are shaved isn't a good reason to ban all of them.

I've swung an extended and a flex, and wasn't impressed with either, and those were supposed to be the 2 best of the older Eastons. The (low) market value of the older SP eastons and the fact that they were rarely used demonstrate to me that this isn't a safety issue.

I just cant anymore...hahaha

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I just think Easton was in an obvious no win situation. Ideally Easton and ASA could have come out with a joint statement; Easton: thanks to the ASA for grandfathering us but we understand that new standards are safer and proudly offer a great new line of bats that are all ASA approved; ASA: we appreciate Eastons' understanding in this matter and while did offer the grandfathering period the time had come to make sure ALL bats meet the same standards for reasons of safety and fairness. We look forward to Eastons' continue effort to ensure all their new bats meet the new guideline.

Is this really that hard??

Where are people getting this "grandfathered" status? According to ASA web site, any grandfathering ended 5 years ago. Citations please

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Where are people getting this "grandfathered" status? According to ASA web site, any grandfathering ended 5 years ago. Citations please
I believe people are referring to ASA allowing the use of pre ABI bats after the testing standards were changed to include the exit speed after use (accelerated break in) as opposed to just testing new, off the shelf bats. I don't know that ASA used the term grandfathered to refer to these bats. They just continued to allow the use of all bats having the 2004 stamp (and some 2000 stamp bats as well).

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I believe people are referring to ASA allowing the use of pre ABI bats after the testing standards were changed to include the exit speed after use (accelerated break in) as opposed to just testing new, off the shelf bats. I don't know that ASA used the term grandfathered to refer to these bats. They just continued to allow the use of all bats having the 2004 stamp (and some 2000 stamp bats as well).

And those stamps are still valid on any bat around that is not on the non-approved list. None of these bats were "grandfathered", either they tested legal or not.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
And those stamps are still valid on any bat around that is not on the non-approved list. None of these bats were "grandfathered", either they tested legal or not.

Exactly. The term "grandfathered", in this case, was used in a couple of articles written on the subject of ABI. Although it is incorrect, it has evidently stuck with the softball community.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Can we really get past the whole...what term is more OCD correct...haha. I think the majority of us all know what is implied when somebody says banned or grandfathered even though it might not be technically correct wordage :)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Can we really get past the whole...what term is more OCD correct...haha. I think the majority of us all know what is implied when somebody says banned or grandfathered even though it might not be technically correct wordage :)

It's probably a good thing you don't get involved in the tech hitting section. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32