East coast vs west coast style?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
The Midwest is very politely staying out of this nonsense. All I know is HE seems to be disappearing fast. I can't remember the last time I saw a pitcher try that nonsense.

Oct 16, 2014
I haven't read all the replies but the first thing I thought of when I read this question was Tincher style or "fluid Dynamics" style pitching. Denny Tincher is based in Virginia and has a lot of certified instructors (across the Country but highest concentration is on the East Coast). The style isn't hugely different. IR is taught, Just a few tweaks on style and emphasis .Quite a following in Virginia, Maryland, Carolinas and surrounding States probably due to his location here. I'm originally from the West Coast and no one I know there has heard of Tincher.

Anyway. That was my first thought

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Unfortunately, I am working in the NYC area now while my family is in Wisconsin. Which means I am not sure if I will even get to see any of my own DD 3's games this year. I really hope I do. In the meantime, I have pinged some of the NYC area DFP members about teams in the NYC area, since it is likely my wife, DD 2 and DD 3 will join me in the Big Apple soon.

Unfortunately, I am working in the NYC area now while my family is in Wisconsin. Which means I am not sure if I will even get to see any of my own DD 3's games this year. I really hope I do. In the meantime, I have pinged some of the NYC area DFP members about teams in the NYC area, since it is likely my wife, DD 2 and DD 3 will join me in the Big Apple soon.

Couple responses to the orginal post about East Coast/West Coast......pitching is pitching and if the West Coast has come up something new it is probably some crazy gimmick that has very little to do with safe and efficient bio-mechanics of pitching. I am pretty certain that if you had a discussion with Rich Balswick, who is the premier pitching instructor on the west coast, he would tell you that there should not be an East Coast style/West Coast style......there should just be a correct style.

Bob in Madison
I just got back at 1 am this morning from doing a coaches clinic for the Wisconsin High School Fastpitch Coaches Association. They had over 300 attendees and it was one of the most organized conventions I've attended and they had some very high level coaches presenting materials. What I saw there makes me believe that the level of skills in Wisconsin will skyrocket......I saw this same thing happen in South Carolina. It is really refreshing to see coaches that care.

Aug 21, 2008
When I first read this thread subject, I was reminded that I never did actually learn what a "West coast offense" is in football despite meaning to google it 100 times. What difference does it make where the play came from (west coast)... last I looked a touchdown was only 6 points in all stadiums. You can look that up, it's a fact!!!

I guess the basis of this question is, what is the definition of the word "style"... I don't mean to go all Bill Clinton on everyone and redefine words. But, that word style is used more incorrectly than Lamar Odom's drugs of choice. I don't care if you're from LA or NYC, your body is fundamentally designed to work certain ways. West coast has had the upper hand for longer because they play longer during the year due to climate which commits girls to playing more and more. Midwest and East coast kids aren't pitching "east coast" style, which is why they aren't recruited heavily in the west... it's because they play 7 months per year indoors. Baseball pitchers don't have east and west coast style, do they? They might have slight variations in their wind up but that hardly changes the style in which the ball is thrown. Softball pitchers have variations of how they wind up too. That doesn't make them from NYC or LA!!

I swear to God, I used to think the dumbest thing ever was the constant naming and re-naming of pitches: the crop? More like the CRAP. The cut dropball that was called something else. But this one takes the cake. And OP, I am not blaming you. Whoever told you there is a west/east coast style is full of it. She pitched in college? What... did she get a 4 year scholarship to the University of Phoenix? Next time tell the coach that I almost had a scholarship there too but, I had Tommy John surgery on both my knees so it was revoked. If the coach doesn't blink or do a double take, it means they are out to lunch. And the only thing I know for sure that is West coast only and NOT in the East is "In and Out Burger". I swear to God.. and I'd tell that coach right to her face!!

Rick Pauly... I do the Wisconsin clinic every cpl years. Did you catch up with Nobby while you were there? Share some Rod Peterson stories? He and I always have a good time together. I mean, 2 pitchers discussing the world in a bar till 2 am... we had the Israeli/Palestine issue fixed, Creation vs. Evolution, better pet: dog or cat, Derek Jeter's idiocy in getting married, and he promised me if I die young he'll make sure my life story is portrayed by Woody Harrelson! So we cover a lot of ground.

Bottom line, East coast, west coast, North America, South America, Europe or Antarctica the body moves the same way when used correctly. The problem is uneducated don't know what correctly means.

Bill

Jan 22, 2011
Interesting Bill. I got introduced to your pitching style when my DD was in 6u and my friends who saw you at the Burlingame All Sports Clinic were talking you up. In my part of the west coast I just send them links to youtube videos of your pitching clinics and tell folks that is how my DD pitches.

Rich Balswick is about an hour from me..... trying to convince my wife to do the roundtrip every other week for lessons but she hasn't bought in yet.

Looking forward to meeting you and Rick in Indiana in 3 or 4 weeks.

Dec 11, 2010
A lot of people don't know that Donnie Baker is a pitching coach. He teaches Third Coast style.

SHUT UP RANDY! I'm teaching a rise screw over here!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid