East coast vs west coast style?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
DD started with a new PC about a month ago, and PC was talking about how there's an east coast style and a west coast style, and she's from the east coast but teaches the west coast style. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I didn't really get the differences as she explained them. What she's teaching DD is a bit of IR but not completely (at least based on my understanding of IR), but it's also not HE. Whatever it is, it does seem to be working for DD. She's definitely picked up some speed and her accuracy is improving as well. So we'll see where it goes.

Jun 12, 2015
Our east coach PC teaches IR but apparently most of the ones around here teach HE. I've never heard the east coast /West coast thing before.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
It could be that PC's definition of the difference between HE and I/R.... Most folks outside this forum have never heard the terms I/R or brush contact etc...

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
There is no East Coast and West Coast style. If the coach is helping your DD just let that kind of silliness slip in one ear and out the other. Let it put you on guard though. Your Coach may say other things stated as fact that have no basis in reality.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

Is he demonstrating Hal's riseball grip?

About 20 years ago, there was a difference beween east coast and west. Step pitching was taught more in the northeast and the midwest, where kids in April pitched on what could best be described as rocky tundra. PIs taught step style. Kids from SoCal, of course, were pitching on nice, fluffy sand. So, leap and drag was popular on the west coast.

But, those days are long gone. Leap and drag is the preferred method.

Over the last 10 years or so, the step style has been abandoned in favor of the leap and drag.

Since softball has becom

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott