Early Velocity for Pitcher a Handicap?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

If a pitcher has high velocity at a young age, will this keep her from reaching her full potential?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 100.0%

• Total voters
Nov 18, 2013
This is a very interesting discussion to me. But I’m not sure it is more true, false or equal. For girls that are just naturally bigger and stronger that just rely on size and strength without focusing on mechanics this could be very true. They will eventually top out below their natural ceiling. Girls that are taught proper mechanics and to throw hard. That the control will come in time will take longer to develop but are setup to reach more of their full potential. Girls that are just taught to throw strikes at a young age seem to have more problems down the road because when they try to increase velocity then they loose all control and many times fall back to their comfort zone of slowing down to throw strikes or hit spots. Everyone has their own thoughts as to how to develop pitchers. And another question that could be asked along these same line is girls that are just taught to throw strikes while successful at a young age get passed up down the road because they do not have the minimum velocity to be competitive.

I personally look at it a little different then many people. I have a strong background in college athletics so I look at things long term instead of one season at a time. I think a girls future should be used in the equation of which path a young pitcher should take. If they are going to be 6 ft around 16/17 then they should be taught velocity and mechanics first. Then let the control and spin come with time. It will take longer for them to be a competitive pitcher but it sets them up to be the most successful long term. If a girl is going to top out at 5’6 and 100 pounds wet then she might be better off of learning to throw control and strikes and enjoy the ride of being a top pitcher in the younger years. But know that more then likely her end role will not be pitching. Yes I know there are several instances of smaller girls or 60 mph pitchers being successful. But for those few that do make it there are 100’s that didn’t or will not make it.
You have some interesting thoughts in the first paragraph. I just wanted to address the 60 mph pitchers.

if looking at speeds of all colleges at all levels I’d put the average speed at high 50’s. Even at D1 the average speed is only low 60’s. Upper level D1’s usually have at least one pitcher throwing 65-70, but they’ll also have a couple that work right around 60. I do agree there are 100’s of pitchers that don’t make it for every one that does. That’s more due to work ethic and attitude than velocity though. Perhaps that’s what you meant. I wasn’t sure.

Dec 11, 2010
Everybody throws out these high speed numbers and points at them like they are necessary for success.

MnDad has it right. Most aren’t that fast. And if you look at the numbers of pitchers consumed by d1 programs, the numbers are crazy and there are not enough pitchers to fill those needs. Go look at the rosters of an entire conference and you’ll see what I mean. And most of those pitchers aren’t pitching- at least “not yet”. (Freshmen and sophomores especially)

Jun 8, 2016
Everybody throws out these high speed numbers and points at them like they are necessary for success.

MnDad has it right. Most aren’t that fast. And if you look at the numbers of pitchers consumed by d1 programs, the numbers are crazy and there are not enough pitchers to fill those needs. Go look at the rosters of an entire conference and you’ll see what I mean. And most of those pitchers aren’t pitching- at least “not yet”. (Freshmen and sophomores especially)
Stay on topic man…..😝

Feb 15, 2017
Stay on topic man…..
That being said some schools take players based on what the gun says. I know of a pitcher two years ago that didn't like pitching with a radar. This pitcher was told by the school that offered her that all thier pitchers pitched at least x MPH. She ended up not hitting the target and ended up not being offered.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1