Dropping hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2020
quick peek. I think it’s a good swing. does he have any glaring holes in game? I remember you said something about inside pitches previously. But since then, the ‘turn’ has gotten tighter, don’t think that should be as much of an issue now.

Definitely handling inside pitches much better since getting his bat more veritcal at launch. As for games, he does pretty well, rarely misses the ball, but his biggest issue is pitch selection. He gets out swinging at junk more often than I care to see. For him, that aspect of the mental side is more difficult than the mechanics. Way too anxious to put the bat on the ball. I guess that's better than the alternative.

Dec 6, 2019
Just for clarity.. this is not a swing, it's a demo and a lot of ingredients are missing. It's important to keep that in mind
View attachment 23373
That's EXACTLY what my kid's swing looks like! Can't imagine we'll ever be able to fix it. Been trying for years.

She can do it correctly off a tee, but it always reverts to this in games.

May 12, 2016
That's EXACTLY what my kid's swing looks like! Can't imagine we'll ever be able to fix it. Been trying for years.

She can do it correctly off a tee, but it always reverts to this in games.
I will take a wild guess and say it's probably because she starts late and rushes her sequence. So I would say to her, treat every pitch likes its a strike, something you are going to swing at. Basically start you sequence on every pitch to launch position and then decide. Don't wait to decide if it's a strike and then start your sequence

She should get to this position, ready to swing at every pitch. She can still say no or yes here, but at least she's ready to launch in a good position. Trust in the sequence. If she's still rushing, start the sequence a little earlier. Of course without video we are all guessing :) JMHO
gif (64).gif

Dec 6, 2019
We know all that. She spent weeks of doing toe touches/stretch 200x every morning and 200x every evening. She just can't do it in a game. And of course she's late in game as an actual matter, but one of the problems is she's not late for what she trying to do, if that makes any sense.

Apr 11, 2015
I couldn't find anything particularly high from that same BP. Here are a couple from a BP about a week ago. These are fairly high, but still in the zone I believe - if it gets too far out of the zone, he won't swing. Also, he wasn't at full effort in these clips. We typically do about 3/4 of our BP at normal BP effort, and then finish at 100%. This was during the lesser-effort phase. In any event:

2ncAqwE.gif

mHTOVrT.gif

EDIT to add: To keep this in the context of the thread, I assume these would still be considered "push" swings by those who espouse such concepts.
These, and the ones you posted yesterday are marked improvements from the swings you showed starting out with...well done!

To answer your question wrt them being "push swings"...no, I don't see them as push swings, I see them more as upper half driven swings, where his shoulders are pulling the barrel instead of lower half swings with the hips pulling the barrel.

I think now the only challenge or next test will be, how well he's able to adjust, wait, and hit OS pitches in the game with that sequencing, but only time will tell with that.

But regardless, I think he's in a much better spot, and should do well with those swings going into HS ball. Please keep up posted. 👍🏽

May 12, 2016
We know all that. She spent weeks of doing toe touches/stretch 200x every morning and 200x every evening. She just can't do it in a game. And of course she's late in game as an actual matter, but one of the problems is she's not late for what she trying to do, if that makes any sense.
But is she doing that with live pitching in practice?

Apr 11, 2015
If you believe she's getting into a good launch position to swing from (the one shown in the first frame of the below clip), try having her emulate this LC swing/barrel path...
r3wae3N.gif

....instead of having the other drill one in her head that she's trying to do now, and see what happens.

May 12, 2016
Right, so she isn't getting into a good launch position in the game, her sequence changes and is rushed in the game as well.. right?

Apr 9, 2020
one of the drills used during my daughters training when the hands going down was an issue was to use two tees with one behind the other just slightly lower then one she is trying to hit off tee. put a ball on both and as she swings she cannot know off the rear ball, if she does the hands are moving down before going forward, we utilize a triple tee. it hold three balls at once the over all width if about the width of a plate from one tee to the other end tee maybe inch or so wider so when it is rotated the rear ball is about the width of plate behind front ball which is at front edge of plate for point of contact.. you can use any tees but wanted to give reference of distance of balls feel free to dm message me if you want to see video of the drill it was extremely helpful for my daughter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi