Dropping Hands before swinging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
How come Bustos bat only appears to make a half C? Could it be because she is actually pulling the knob inside path of ball and then releasing to contact, exactly what she says she does, not torqueing the bat like all you expert video analyzers claim she is doing? No need to reply as I can see it for myself and a video is worth a thousand words. Thanks for the confirmation. :)

24pzaiv.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
How come Bustos bat only appears to make a half C?

The bottom portion of the ‘C’ is supposed to be somewhat flat. That’s the point … to have the barrel in plane with the swing early, not late. It is somewhat silly to preach “hitting in a long zone” and have the majority of the “hitting zone” exist “out front”. Even CO repeatedly, and correctly I might add, preaches of the value of connection and against what he refers to as “extension hitting”. Busto’s rearward barrel path allows her to generate plenty of barrel momentum, get the barrel on plane early, and make contact deep in the zone when appropriate.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Just noting that the camera angle is different. Her half C would become more full if it were truly face on - even more so if face on and to the rear side like Cabrera and Pujols.

This swing was the result of success baiting. Advanced game theory. I understand that now thanks to a very reliable source. The pitch was way inside and she knew it was coming. Proceed accordingly.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
If you talk to Bustos she does this to many pitchers. Tewks is correct. She loves to bait pitchers and talks to young players how to set up in the box to bait a pitcher/catcher. She can hit a ball 5 " out of the strike zone . She hit a HR on an intentional walk, so you must know what she is swinging out when someone posts a video of her.

Mar 12, 2009
I see this a lot with players who have been taught to keep their hands up, or to, "Not Drop Their Hands". When they drop their hands against live pitching, what they are doing is getting a head start. They are trying to give themselves more time to read the pitch and make the decision to swing or not. A lot of girls in FP; I would say most; are taught to load their hands straight back and then launch their swing straight forward. The result is a swing that starts forward from a dead stop. The body instinctively knows that this isn't quick...It's not efficient. So the body gets the bat started early by dropping the hands. Good idea...poor execution. It's not her fault. She has never been taught.

Teach her how to get the barrel started early without dropping her hands. It's a combination of external rotation of the rear upper arm and adduction. All the girls do the adduction part. Few do the external rotation part. Combine the two and you go a long ways to having a connected swing. If you don't like using baseball players as models, get a clip of Jen Yee.

My daughter started this horrible habit and this is exactly why I thought she started it...because she thinks she is getting a head start. She has always been told by me and her coaches she is late so I think this is her way of trying to get a head start. We are working on trying to correct it now. A lot of girls drop thier hands during the swing but mine is truly dropping hers and moving them slightly forward before the ball even leaves the pitcher's hand. I will look at your link and hopefully it will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 12, 2009
Have many kids that do this. We set a T as high in the strike zone as you can set it.. This would represent a rise ball. They cannot drop there hands to hit this pitch. It is muscle memory of working on this to break the habit. It you do not have a T that will go this high, set it on a bucket.

I was told this is a good drill and I'm sure it is if done correctly but unfortunately, my daughter just started dipping her back shoulder real bad...not sure why.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Really, FFS?!?

This has to be a joke.

Everyone following along at home should know that you should never trust a theory that can only be proven by a single, grainy clip.

I have never seen this pattern in a SINGLE other clip.

Specifically, what haven't you seen in a single other clip?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd