Dropped third strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
If pitched ball hits dirt and catcher catches it after batter swings on 3rd strike is that considered a catch or is batter elgible to run?? Thanks!

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If pitched ball hits dirt and catcher catches it after batter swings on 3rd strike is that considered a catch or is batter elgible to run?? Thanks!

That would be an uncaught third strike.

For the third strike to be considered as "caught", it must be airbourne from the pitcher's release until caught by the catcher. If it touches the ground anywhere between those two points...no catch!

Aug 20, 2013
To take this further, something that I learned this past weekend is if the ball doesn't go straight into the catchers glove, then it's a dropped 3rd... (ie. If the ball hit the catchers mask and then she caught it before it hit the ground, it would still be considered a dropped 3rd).

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
To take this further, something that I learned this past weekend is if the ball doesn't go straight into the catchers glove, then it's a dropped 3rd... (ie. If the ball hit the catchers mask and then she caught it before it hit the ground, it would still be considered a dropped 3rd).

Well, I'm still looking for the emoticons as I hope you are not serious.

Feb 3, 2011
I don't think that's true. If it doesn't hit the ground, it's a catch. If a pop fly bounces off a fielder's head into her glove without contacting the ground, it's a catch, too. :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

I think someone might have confused the foul tip rule for the D3K rule

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Yes, you learned your umpire doesn't know the rules

Mar 2, 2013

Ball to bat. Ball to mask. Immediate dead ball. This is a foul ball. It is not a foul fly ball eligible to be caught for an out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207